cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new batteries

jlscjs
Explorer
Explorer
In a nut shell who has the best rv battery on the market? I need to replace mine but not wanting to spend a fortune on gel batteries.
Retired and lovin it!!
2001 Coachman Royal 279SA 5ver
20 REPLIES 20

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with Tuna. GEL is the WORST choice

That leave

AGM
Maintenance Free
Flooded wet cell

Flooded wet cell is lowest in cost but highest in labor, you have to water them, clean them and otherwise maintain them fairly often. That said the most common Flooded wet cell RV battery is the very popular GC-2 Golf car battery. The GC-2 is used in Golf Cars (GC) all over the place, Golf courses buy 'em in bulk and thus they are less expensive (per unit) to make.. They are also DEEP CYCLE batteries. True deep cycle.

Maintenance free, is a wet cell as well so must be mounted "THIS SIDE UP" as it were. (Caps on top) however though it is becomming easier to find 12 volt DEEP CYCLE both in Flooded and maintenance free.. most of the Maintenance free sold for RV use are Marine/deep cycle, this is not a deep cycle battery by any stretch of the imagination. They are a bit more expensive.

AGM: Are the most expensive, the only real advantage over Maintenance Free. is the lack of a "This side up" AGM are a bit more rugged, and LIFELINE claims a faster bulk charge than any other battery maker.. But in truth, the faster BULK won't save you much charging time.

In my expierence (MK/Deka) They do not last as long as Flooded.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
gel batteries would be my last choice.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not wanting to have to check water levels on my batteries all the time, so I go with AGM.

Costco has reasonably priced AGM's

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Standard flooded lead acid?

Rolls & Surrette

Crown

They have no peers

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Standard flooded lead acid?