cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No 12 V juice--battery or converter?

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
My new-to-me 2014 Coachmen C (21QB) has no 12 V juice without the generator running. As in, the lights won't even come on. The battery is a cheapo, previous treatment unknown. When I looked at it prior to buying, the generator was running, because it was a really hot day & I wanted to make sure the AC was working.

It's possible a light was left on inside the first day I got it home, too. That may have flat-lined the battery in a couple of days.

If the 12 V systems work when the generator is running, does that mean the converter is working?

If the 12 V systems work when plugged in to 110 V, does that mean the converter is working?

The generator hour display has a tiny battery icon and as best as I can see it shows a symbol of a battery charging (zigzag in the icon.) Does that mean that the generator is charging the battery?

What battery does the generator use to crank up? It starts just fine.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board
19 REPLIES 19

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
does sound like converter is working.
There is commonly a circuit breaker or fuse adjacent to the battery(ies). It could be bad.
The battery disconnect could be in the off position. Cycle it. You should hear a click out of it. That means the control circuit is good. No click would indicate a bad control circuit power or a bad relay.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dead Battery
Tripped circuit breaker or blown fuse. this breaker or fuse should be near the battery and likely is not part of the main fuse panel

Bad connection battery or ground end of negative cable

Disconnect switch in the disconnected position.
Defective disconnect solenoid.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
find some body close to you that has a rv get them to walk you threw things. better than throwing money at it. then finding out it was a simple fix.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
1ST. Remove the battery and have it load tested at any auto parts store. 2nd disconnect the output wires of the converter and check the voltage of the 12 volt output terminals.Converter should operate with shore power or generator. It is on it's own 15 amp breaker.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

MrWizard
Sounds like the converter is working
Try this test
With the generator on and you have 12v power
Flip the the battery disconnect switch several times
The latching relay might be stuck
Or if the batteries are discharged the latching disconnect relay might not have enough power to engage
Check to see if the batteries are getting charge voltage

Somebody will post where the relays are located
And any fuses

Generator can be wired chassis or house
The Onan in my RV is wired to the engine battery
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s