cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold 1200 adjustments?

dllfo2
Explorer
Explorer
Our freezer is 17-23 degrees while the lower area is around 40 egrees.
40 is good, but we would like to lower the freezer temp. We moved things away from the back wall, was unable to check the insulation on top of the unit.

Any suggestions? Monaco did not give me any ideas.
2002 Monaco Diplomat 38PST
12 REPLIES 12

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
moisheh wrote:
"4. RV refers will last a lifetime if they are run level and IF they do not leak. Doug"

That is like saying your tires will hold air for a lifetime unless they go flat. A leaking cooling unit is a common problem with the 1200's

Moisheh

Most refers (even 1200) are NOT run level and to specs for the life of the refer---hence they may overheat and that can cause a leak. Tire are inherently leakers. NO tire can hold air. BAD comparison.
Due to millions of the 1200's out there, it is NOT valid to state they have a leaking problem. Due to the amount of refers, some leaks will occur. Doug

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
"4. RV refers will last a lifetime if they are run level and IF they do not leak. Doug"

That is like saying your tires will hold air for a lifetime unless they go flat. A leaking cooling unit is a common problem with the 1200's

Moisheh

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
uncle t wrote:
My No-cold 1200 made ice when the freezer temp was 18. Temp checked with 2 thermometers, one digital. HOWEVER, once ambient outside temp hit 85 or so refer went to 45 and freezer to 25. My new Samsung household stays at 38 and minus 2 in 100 degree heat.

Norcold has changed their specs on the Icemaker Thermal fuse---14 degrees or below before the Icemaker cycles. They used to state 10 degrees or below. It is NOT the actual temp of the freezer, but what the wall of the freezer and the Icemaker mold are sensing. The back WALL is where the cooling coils are located and that wall temp will be colder than the actual temp in the freezer. Doug

uncle_t
Explorer
Explorer
My No-cold 1200 made ice when the freezer temp was 18. Temp checked with 2 thermometers, one digital. HOWEVER, once ambient outside temp hit 85 or so refer went to 45 and freezer to 25. My new Samsung household stays at 38 and minus 2 in 100 degree heat.
2020 Integra 36U
can am spyder or can am commander
BE PREPARED- NEVER BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
dllfo2 wrote:
Doug, I did not see, nor hear a fan running on the 1200, but I will get a ladder and get higher to see/hear them.

I am using Cheney remote temp. sensors, supposed to be good ones. I also use the automotive type with a 3 or 4 inch long stainless steel pin on them. The are close in temp when I looked.

One is digital and the other is analogue.

The fans are temp controlled by a condensor tstat. BUT, 11 years means the odds arenthye fans and/or tstat is bad. Doug

dllfo2
Explorer
Explorer
Doug, I did not see, nor hear a fan running on the 1200, but I will get a ladder and get higher to see/hear them.

I am using Cheney remote temp. sensors, supposed to be good ones. I also use the automotive type with a 3 or 4 inch long stainless steel pin on them. The are close in temp when I looked.

One is digital and the other is analogue.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
dllfo2 wrote:
I haven't called Norcold, should have thought of that one myself. DUH!!

I don't remember seeing any fans installed, will get ladder & look again.
Fridge is not a slide out (to my knowledge, never tried to remove it).
Cooling one degree cooler on propane (after 4 hours).
We have a good airflow, or at least, room for a good airflow.
Yes, the unit is 11 years old (at least) How long do they last?
Do you know of a GOOD refrig I could replace it with (if necessary), one that fits the opening, etc. Without major remodeling.

Lack of cooling is new. I always level the coach, then check it later that day. Worst I ever saw was about 1/2 bubble out of center (front to rear if I remember correctly)

Refrig part is doing fine, it is the freezer that is too warm. I am compensating right now by buying ice for it. Ice maker working, makes about 3 to 4 trays overnight, even when set on 7 or 8.

We are in South Lake Tahoe and it is T-shirt weather. 61 degrees out.

1. ALL 1200/1210 Norcolds have 2 rear fans.
2. IF your icemaker is working the freezer is BELOW 10 degrees.
3. HOW are you measuring the temp? What type of Thermometer? You MUST use a digital for accurate temps.
4. RV refers will last a lifetime if they are run level and IF they do not leak. Doug

dllfo2
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't called Norcold, should have thought of that one myself. DUH!!

I don't remember seeing any fans installed, will get ladder & look again.
Fridge is not a slide out (to my knowledge, never tried to remove it).
Cooling one degree cooler on propane (after 4 hours).
We have a good airflow, or at least, room for a good airflow.
Yes, the unit is 11 years old (at least) How long do they last?
Do you know of a GOOD refrig I could replace it with (if necessary), one that fits the opening, etc. Without major remodeling.

Lack of cooling is new. I always level the coach, then check it later that day. Worst I ever saw was about 1/2 bubble out of center (front to rear if I remember correctly)

Refrig part is doing fine, it is the freezer that is too warm. I am compensating right now by buying ice for it. Ice maker working, makes about 3 to 4 trays overnight, even when set on 7 or 8.

We are in South Lake Tahoe and it is T-shirt weather. 61 degrees out.

DUNEBUGGYDOUG
Explorer
Explorer
Where I live 17 degrees is frozen pretty hard

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Are you postive about the lower temp? The correct temp on any RV refer is BELOW 10 degrees in the freezer and 30 to 38 degrees in the main refer. The fact that you have 40 degrees in the refer and 17 to 23 degrees in the freezer is very strange. HOW are you measuring the temps---digital is needed. Does the Icemaker work? If so, your freezer is indeed below 10 degrees as the icemaker will not function if the freezer is not below 10 degrees. The freezer is NOT temp controlled by a tstat. The freezer will get below 10 degrees regardless of the tstat setting. Have you had any work done on the refer in the past year? Was the refer working correctly until this time? Doug

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
17-23*F in freezer isn't cutting it.....so food section will not get cooler

Do you have fans installed in rear outside compartment up near top?
Are the fans operating?
Is the fridge in a slide out?
Same lack of cooling whether on electric or propane?

There has to be good air flow across backside of fridge in order for it to cool properly.....pulled in thru bottom vent and out the top vent.

Your fridge is also 11-12 yrs. old.
Has this lack of cooling something new......or gradual?
If fridge has been operated while off level the cooling tubes could be clogging......off level operation causes improper vapor/fluid flow. This causes crystals to form and they build up blocking the fluid flow even more. Damage is accumulative....so the more times the fridge is operated off level the more clogging.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Check with Norcold, not Monaco.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."