Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norcold Refrigerator Model 662 not working on gas

richsoto91
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,
I have a 1993 Winnebago with the Norcold refrigerator model 662. when I parked my RV 6 months ago the refrigerator was working fine. I just took it out of storage and the fridge worked great, got nice and cold while plugged into AC. when I tried to switch it over to gas I didn't hear the normal clicking noise of the pilot light trying to light. instead I hear a weird kind of sparking/shorting sound that is similar to connecting battery cables to a car while the dome light it turned on. I'm guessing it has to do with the sparking component that lights the pilot light. if anyone could help direct me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
5 REPLIES 5

richsoto91
Explorer
Explorer
I lied...LOL. when I went out to check for the sound my wife didn't turn on the switch to the normal operation position before she switched it to auto/gas. it's still making the same sound and sounds like it's coming from the ignition module.

richsoto91
Explorer
Explorer
I just went out and checked again to see what I could hear and now there is no noise at all when turning on the fridge. checked the fuse as well and it's ok.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
You may need to take a cover or two off to see if there's arcing/sparking somewhere. If you have a separate "ignition coil" it might have cracked. Or mice could have eaten wiring insulation.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

richsoto91
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
You can probably find a service manual HERE.
Can you watch the back (ourside)side of the fridge while somebody turns it ON?
Sounds like maybe some insulation failure on the ignitor cable...
Do you hear a CLUNK when you switch to LP? The Gas Valve usually makes enough noise for you to hear it.

Hi j-d,
I'll check out the link...thanks. I did take the outside cover off and watched/listened as my wife was trying to light the fridge. the only noise I could hear was what I described in my original post. sounds like a sparking/shorting noise. it's not very loud so it's kind of hard to tell exactly where it's coming from.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can probably find a service manual HERE.
Can you watch the back (ourside)side of the fridge while somebody turns it ON?
Sounds like maybe some insulation failure on the ignitor cable...
Do you hear a CLUNK when you switch to LP? The Gas Valve usually makes enough noise for you to hear it.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB