cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan generator replacement

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings all, I just some bad news about the generator in our 87 Southwind. The generator portion of the generator is fried and it will cost over $5000 to fix if they can find all the parts. I am wondering if anyone out there has a line on a used 6.5KW or even as low as a 5KW generator that will fit in my MH. I know this is a long shot, but we don't have $5-6000 laying around for a new one or to fix this one even if all the parts were available.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity
23 REPLIES 23

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
DaHose wrote:
I would look at the Harbor Freight line of genny's. They have an 8750 watt electric start model that's well reviewed, you can put extended warranties on them and they are $600 new. If it would fit in your bay, it could be a good option.

Jose

Do you think anyone in that rv could sleep with that generator running?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Grandpere,

There is a site, I don't frequent it but I've looked for info on it before, which has a lot of Onan generator knowledge:

www.smokstak.com

Maybe someone there would know of a good repairman local to you.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
I would look at the Harbor Freight line of genny's. They have an 8750 watt electric start model that's well reviewed, you can put extended warranties on them and they are $600 new. If it would fit in your bay, it could be a good option.

Jose

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
I have found several on craigs list and on eBay bu one you have parted with the money you are stuck if the generator does not live up to the seller's statements. I have found a 5.5KW for $2800 from a reputable RV salvage yard so I guess I will go with that instead of trying to find a good 6.5KW that I currently have.

Thank you all for your help and advice.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

MrWizard
Craigslist is your friend
Locally here I So Calif... there is a 4 kw Onan listed for $750
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Someone just made a post about a dealer that said no parts and no one works on old ONANs. Wanted big $$$ just to diagnose and recommended full replacement.

Then he found an independent and was out the door with a replaced regulator for less than the dealer diagnosis fee.

I can't fix an ONAN, just saying get a second opinion.

Maybe someone will find the post. My search failed.

TEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
What model do you have.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Could you get by with a portable genny?
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000