cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan MicroLite 4000 series generator question

isswindy
Explorer
Explorer
I have been having problems with the generator and in looking through my manual in an attempt to solve the problem (which is I believe related to the starter) I came across some terminology which I really do not know what it means. In the Standard features section of the manual it refers to but does not explain what is meant by "Starter overcrank protection". Can you explain what this is and what it actually means to me. Many thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
isswindy wrote:
I will answer all questions in this area and hope I am doing it correctly.
j-d you were right, the first three characters are 4KY. I had written it as 4K4 in my manual.

Go to page 1-2 (page 7) of this PDF: http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/981-0503.pdf

Then take a flashlight over to the generator, open it and get the model number and serial number off of it. Then compare that with the breakdown information in the PDF.

Who knows? You may find that you have the wrong manual for the generator.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
Don't feel bad. It happens to lots of us. I just recently paid
$2350 to repair mine. He's right use it or lose it.

Bob

isswindy
Explorer
Explorer
Handbasket - Well you certainly had an effective way of silencing me and I assure you I will not go any further.

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Meaning no offense, but if you're going to continue to neglect it, it's best to quit now, instead of wasting your time & money. These things _need_ to be run regularly. The manual recommends 2 hours at 1/2 load monthly when not in regular use. Onan will void the warranty on a new one that hasn't been run enough. The reasons are many.

2 hours every 5-7 weeks works for mine so far. I'd suggest either committing to doing that, or have the generator removed to save hauling dead weight. Even not running, it's worth something to someone; put it on Craigslist or eBay as 'cranks but doesn't start.'

Jim, "We do precision guesswork."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
isswindy wrote:
j-d you were right, the first three characters are 4KY. I had written it as 4K4 in my manual.

exeter acres - I get no response when I push the start button, no "pop" at all and I have half a tank of gas in the tank

dougrainer - I found the reference to the starter overcrank protection feature listed under Standard Features in the "RV generator set Quiet Gasoline Series RV QG 4000" 4 page brochure that came with my generator unit and is not a part of the RV GenSet Operator's Manual.

I certainly want to thank all of you for responding to my questions with regards to the problem. I guess my concern really is whether or not I want to spend another $500 to $700 dollar repair bill on this type of situation when my use of the generator has been so minimal.

It IS part of the operators manual as that is where I got the reference. As I stated, it is listed as a function, it just does NOT state Overcrank feature. Section 2.1 in the operators manual under starting the Gen set. Doug

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
We think of use and exercise as being needed for the Engine Part of the GenSet. It's also needed for the Generator Part. If not run long/hot enough to drive moisture out, it's possible for the steel laminations in the Generator to rust and they swell when they rust. Enough rust and the Rotor can't Rotate. There are also Contacts in the Genset (Slip Rings and Brushes) that can corrode or stick. Then it won't Generate.
You'll lose it if you don't USE it.
About "No Pop" when you try to crank it... The generator seems to check for adequate Battery Voltage before allowing the Starter to engage. At least that's what happened with our 4KY Spec K when the Coach (House) Battery failed. Most coaches are set up so the Chassis Alternator charges the Coach Battery when the Engine is Running. Try running the Road Engine awhile then try to start the GenSet. If it tries then, the Coach Battery (and of course any Connections) might be suspect.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

isswindy
Explorer
Explorer

exeter acres - I get no response when I push the start button, no "pop" at all and I have half a tank of gas in the tank

dougrainer - I found the reference to the starter overcrank protection feature listed under Standard Features in the "RV generator set Quiet Gasoline Series RV QG 4000" 4 page brochure that came with my generator unit and is not a part of the RV GenSet Operator's Manual.

I certainly want to thank all of you for responding to my questions with regards to the problem. I guess my concern really is whether or not I want to spend another $500 to $700 dollar repair bill on this type of situation when my use of the generator has been so minimal.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are the first three characters in your Model Number actually 4K4? I would have expected 4KY. The rest of the characters, beginning FA, make sense, and your Spec is H.
ONAN gensets, with proper maintenance, are very long-lived machines. If it wasn't run much in actual "duty" as a power source, wasn't run monthly or so as "exercise" if not otherwise run, and the fuel wasn't stabilized, then problems crop up. Their carburetors have tiny passages and that makes them very vulnerable to Gum and Varnish. Then they won't start or won't keep running. Then we work the starter too hard...

exeter_acres
Explorer
Explorer
really need to start at the beginning....

when you push the start button. what happens?

Nothing?

anything?

cranks, but won't start?

any "pop" at all?

How much gas is in your tank?
Involved in R/C airplanes and travel and camp at many events.
www.extremeflightrc.com

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Starter Overcrank Protection is a built in timer to prevent burning up the Starter by engaging longer than 30 seconds. Once you engage the starter and the unit does NOT start, after 15 to 25 seconds the starter will disengage. You then have to wait a few seconds and retry. IF you have overheated the starter, you may have to wait longer for it to cool down before a restart. This is IN the Onan operators manual, not NOT listed under a Overcrank feature. Doug

isswindy
Explorer
Explorer
Hello jd and thanks for your quick reply.
I hope I get all of this correct: First of all the generator is installed in a Jayco 2730W Designer Series on a 99Ford E40 SD 6.8L.
The generator is Cummins Onan Microlite 4000 series Model # 4K4FA26100H

I am a very low mileage RV user even tho I love the lifestyle. I have 48,000 miles on the RV and only 121 hours on the generator. About 4 years ago, I found that I could not start the generator as I had a trip planned so I took it to a local repair shop where I have had good experiences with in the past. They repaired the gen with a new starter for prox. $500.00 and I went on my trip. Since then I had some medical problems which kept me home for some time and when I was well enough to RV again I tried to start the generator prior to a trip and could not get it to start. I was aware of the cranking time limitation so I was careful to pay attention to that limitation. However, after trying to start it, the generator finally gave up with no turn over whatsoever which I assume is another starter problem. That was the reason for my question about the "Starter overcrank protection" section in the manual. I realize that my unit is old by todays standards but by the same token I had only put about 30 minutes or so on the generator after the first repair until I tried to start in for a second trip. The last time I ran the generator for that 30 minutes or so it was running just fine.
I really appreciate your time and advice on this situation and my questions really come about as I am getting ready to go on another trip and wonder just where I stand with regards to an older gen set and the repair job done by my local repair shop. Could they have repaired it the first time and not done whatever was necessary to put the overcrank system into place? I realize that you can not possibly answer that question but if you have any ideas and feel free to express them then I would appreciate that.

Many thanks from Bob Windom in Issaquah, WA

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is this a Model "4KY" genset? Please confirm that and provide the Spec Code (single letter at the end of Model.
And also please describe the problem.
I tried to look Overcrank up in the Service Manual for 4KY and didn't find it. My belief is it keeps the starter from being engaged too long and burning out. Many engines have a cranking time limitation.
If your problem is that it won't start, try priming the fuel system. (Again, if it's 4KY) Hold the Start/Stop rocker switch to STOP till it lights up then hold another several seconds. This causes the fuel pump to run, and you should hear a rattling sound which is the pump running. When it stops, the fuel bowl should be full. Then try to start the genset.
How long has it been since it last ran, and how did it run then?