Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ONAN VRS INVERTER GEN

MACHZER
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

Is the factory installed Onan generator louder than a inverter generator such as Honda 3000, Champion 3400 or a Predator?

Thanks
Clandeboye , Manitoba
5 REPLIES 5

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
^^^ 5500 is a real machine. Twin cyl 1800 RPM. Microquiet is single 3600 RPM.
We have a 4KY series 4KW Microquiet. Anything but! That said, runs faultlessly off stabilized unleaded from the road tank. I'm glad we have it.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on which ONAN, how well installed and which Honad

I have a Onan Emerald Gold 5500 (At least that's what it says it is)

Standing next to it under load I can clearly hear the blowers on teh A/C's. I can talk to others without raising my voice (I do have a Gen-Turi which "Modifies" the sound a bit.. I have a hard time hearing it from INSIDE the RV.

The following observations were made at Quartsite some years ago..
Kipor Inverter Generator some distance away. Easily heard. annoying little brat too.

Honda's Outside "The big tent" lots of crowd noise

EU-1000i.. no load. I could not hear it. I could feel the exhaust against my leg but I could nto hear it

EU-2000i. No load. I could hear it, my companion could not and the sales guy SAID he could not either

EU-2000 1/2 we all could hear it. Normal speaking voices however
EU-2000 at full load.> We had to "Speak up" louder

So that's subjective.. But it gives you and idea

I do hear my Onan when the A/C's engage. but only when they are engaging. and there is not a lot of other sound about.. Since the dash light is not flashing I have to open the window to hear it start when I want roof air while driving.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
I assume you're asking about Onans in the 3kW to 4kW ballpark. The bigger ones make less noise. The Onan noise depends a lot on the installation in a particular RV. My "Microquiet" is unreasonably loud inside the RV. Others with the same generator in other RVs have reported it to be pretty quiet. As already pointed out the issue is not so much exhaust noise, but rather mechanical noise. When boondocking, I carry an inverter generator to charge the battery and run the Onan for only short intervals. Opinion-wise, I doubt than any Microquiet installation would be as quiet as an eu3000i.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

MrWizard
moved from Technology Corner
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Which Onan?
My Onan 4000 is louder but not exhaust. Seems compartment makes it louder. Newer Onan gensets are quieter then mine.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker