cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Only thing getting power is the 220V Appliance!?

jeff_1981
Explorer
Explorer
Hey electrical geniuses out there, I need your help. I know next-to-nothing about electrical. Maybe the answer is something simple. Either way, I don't know it, and I need some guidance, big time.

Wife and I are starting a mobile coffee and pastries business. Had an older camper fixed up. Looks great. Tried hooking it up to the generator today for the first time...and I'm perplexed. At first I thought nothing got power, but actually the 220V, 4000W, 20A espresso machine is the only thing that switches on. No other equipment or outlets work.

The generator is a Champion 8750 Watt Inverter, Model 100520. The plug going into the Camper is a big 4-Prong (I assume a 50A?). For the part going to the generator, I had to use a 30 Amp Generator 4 Prong to RV30 Amp Adapter cord I got from Home Depot.

I turn on the generator fine, I plug it in to the camper, and nothing. No lights go on. The refrigerator, kegerator, water heater, outlets, etc., nothing. EXCEPT that the humongous espresso machine (connected DIRECTLY to the breaker box, not an outlet) will switch on. Most of the outlets are GFCI, but none are tripped. I tried flipping off the circuit breakers for a while then switching back on. Nothing.

I. Don't. Get. It. And we can't even get a health inspection if we can't get the equipment running.... I had a theory that maybe the 30 Amp adapter cord was not enough? Maybe I need a 50 amp? I just don't know what to try.

HELP!!!!!!!!!
34 REPLIES 34

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP paid someone to set it. He is now getting items together to make the shop fix it.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
The time you have wasted on the problem an electriction could have you up and running and selling corn dogs. Do NOT play with electricity that you know nothing about!
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
deleted.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The receptacle and cord end has three prongs plus the ground is on the outer shell.
Correction adapter is https://www.park-power.com/en/174arv
Cable I posted earlier will plug into the rig. Then adapter is connected to cord and other end will plug into genset.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

jeff_1981
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Old Biscuit shows correct end for rig.
Then cord like this Cord
Then the 173 adapter from Park-power to genset.

But the male end of that adapter is only three prong. It won't go in the L14-30R on the generator, right?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Old Biscuit shows correct end for rig.
Then cord like this Cord
Then the 173 adapter from Park-power to genset.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If you will mostly be using that generator for power... get a cord that plugs in direct. No adapter.
It is an L14-30 connector to the generator.

jeff_1981
Explorer
Explorer
Okay okay...suicide/dead man's cord = not a good idea. Now I know!

I understand switching to the male receptacle on the trailer and adding the correct female connector to the cord. But which cord is it, i.e., what is on the other end? And which adapter would link it to the generator?

I think I'm going to have to tow this back to the builder to fix, but I want to have a concrete plan.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
OMG remove any outlet that is being used as an inlet and attach an actual inlet or attach a cord.

:E DO NOT use a deadman's cord. :E

You can get a custom cord to go direct in your generator right here:

https://www.stayonline.com/cordbuilder/

Or buy a L14-30 extension and cut off the female connector and hard wire to the trailer power entry.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your biggest issue is the Generator Outlet requires a MALE Plug and your 'Trailer' power plug requires a MALE Plug

The adapter posted above will plug into your Generator 30A outlet BUT your power cord would need 2 male ends....1 to plug into adapter and 1 to plug into 'trailer' receptacle

That is called a SUICIDE cord....male plugs on each end so when plugged in exposed prongs are HOT....electric execution

That is why you can not/will not find an adapter to plug the gen and trailer together

Need to change receptacle on trailer AND on female end of power cord to twist lock types

Swap receptacle on 'trailer' with CEP/Marinco 6375M Male Plug 50-Amp 125-Volt/250-Volt Twist Lock Inlet Connecton

Swap female end on power cord with Marinco CS6364N 50 Amp, 125 Volt//250 Volt, Connector

You will still need that adapter to plug into generator and plug your male end of power cord into adapter
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
One adapter in the picture above does it. Do not use 3 adapters.

jeff_1981
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, would this sequence work; this is all I can think of to go from 14-50R to 14-30R:

1. Plug in to receptacle on the camper/trailer: 25 foot 14-50P to 14-50R https://www.amazon.com/Mophorn-Extension-Durable-Premium-Motorhome/dp/B07NY4L8ZW/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=nema+14-50+to+14-50+cord&qid=1601604956&sr=8-17

2. Then to that connect: 14-50P to 14-30R adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076ZTWL4K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1AMUYYA3CT6HJ&psc=1

3. Then to that connect: 14-30P to 14-30P: https://www.ebay.com/i/254733690475?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=254733690475&targetid=882300791467&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9022877&poi=&campaignid=1669934603&mkgroupid=65058347419&rlsatarget=pla-882300791467&abcId=1123856&merchantid=114984887&gclid=CjwKCAjw_NX7BRA1EiwA2dpg0muqDvLj9Ek0lYnhg54fpSVBs64MFdlEbAE6TTcgbaC1u9B4WZ2iGhoCXHQQAvD_BwE

4. Then connect that to the generator's 14-30R.

This seems...overly complicated. There's gotta be an easier way.

jeff_1981
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
What is the latest receptacle used for? Is this to feed the rig or the expresso machine?Latest photo

That's the only receptacle. The espresso machine is connected directly to the breaker.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What is the latest receptacle used for? Is this to feed the rig or the expresso machine?Latest photo

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow