cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Optima battery question

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can an Optima yellow top battery be recovered from 10.9 volts state of charge in storage?

I have charged it with the 3 stage charger converter for 24 hours, disconnect and allowed to rest for 24 hours. Reads 12.2 volts. Connect the TC wiring to it - the only load I am aware of is the display on the stereo and the CO monitor. Voltage drops to 9.8volts.

Is this battery kaput?

It's mate was at 12.2 volts after storage, charged by itself for 24 hours, rested for 24 hours, and has sat at 12.66 volts for 3 days while I fiddled around with the other one. Does not change when connected to the camper wiring by itself as described above.
17 REPLIES 17

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slqd73ZOQvI from the horse's mouth!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Pretty much it is a goner--but seeing as there is nothing to lose see if you can do a "recondition" charge.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.