Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Parallax Power Supply 7345

Camping_Hoosier
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks

I have a 2006 Jayco Eagle and the original IOTA power supply has given up the ghost. I'm looking at replacing it this weekend with a Parallax 7345 that I'm ordering from Amazon.com.

I see that they have the 7355 (55 amp) for $10 more. Is there any advantage for me to go ahead and get the 55 amp over the 45 amp?

Thanx
2006 Jayco Eagle 314 BHDS
2001 Dodge QC - 5.9L Gas
22 REPLIES 22

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Another thought, if you go to a 55 amp converter check to make sure the wiring is adequate to handle 55 amps. If you do much off the grid camping you might want to increase the wire size anyway to take full advantage of the faster charging ability of the 3 or 4 stage converter.

I replaced my Parallax 7345 with a PD and changed the wire between the battery and converter to #4 AWG.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
The price I've paid for a replacement battery set due to a single stage converter would have netted me a nice five-stage converter with pendant.

One of the first things someone should do with their rig is to check what type of converter it uses, and if it is a single stage, chuck it and get something decent, preferably one with the "charge wizard" (i.e. desulfating) functionality.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Get a way better converter for the same money.
Parallax is pretty much obsolete.

Stay with IOTA is fine but get the DLS with IQ controller.
45 amp is good with one or two batteries. The original IOTA probably did not have the IQ controller. The new 45a IOTA will charge way faster than 55a parallax and reduce water usage if plugged in continuous.

http://www.bestconverter.com/DLS-45-45-Amp-Power-Converter-wIQ4_p_336.html
Or find it on amazon / ebay etc. Although if you buy through bestconverter.com they will provide superior warranty service and technical help as needed.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Buying a 73XX is a waste of money. Replace it with a PDI and get the best of all worlds for close to the same money.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
My MH came with a Magnatek/Parallax 7345 just like the one you are buying. After about 3 years, while it was still fully functional and not giving any problems, I replaced it with a PD4655V and gave it away.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Yep! Good advice above. Get a three stage charger. The money you save on a single stage charger will soon disappear into new batteries.

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.bestconverter.com/

I bought a replacement fir my converter from here.
Got a Progressive Dynamics converter.
Easy swap about an hours work only. Direct replacement .
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
The Parallax 7345 is a single stage converter. It supplies a constant 13.8 volts. At that voltage it charges batteries very slowly and once charged it boils the water in the battery.

It is much better to replace your old converter with a PD 4600 converter. It will charge your battery much faster and then when charged it provides a voltage of 13.2 volts that keeps the battery charged without boiling it. It also provides desulfication of the battery.

As far as the 45 vs 55 A it depends on how many batteries you have. If you have 2 or more the 55A will charge the batteries a little faster.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory