cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Parasitic Draw on Batteries

jocat54
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to figure out where my excessive draw is (1.9 amps).
I think I have everything turned off-----looking for suggestions where to start.

This is on a 38ft 1999 Monaco Diplomat DP. I just replaced all 4 house batteries and they do charge to a full charge. If I turn the charger off the batteries go pretty low in about a day.

Thanks
"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"

John & Kathy & Gizmo (maltipoo)
1999 38ft Monaco Diplomat DP
Leakey, Tx (Texas Hill Country)
11 REPLIES 11

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
While not common, standard light bulbs can develop a partial internal short. Agree with previous post. Test one at a time for amperage.

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
Since you say "parasitic draws", I assume you are not using the coach, and only want to keep the batts from drawing down in storage. If that's the case, why not install something like this Disconnect in the ground return and eliminate all the draws,
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

jocat54
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
24 hours 1.9 amps will 50% deplete one battery in one day.

Grab your digital voltmeter than has of course, a 10 amp setting.

Go to the DC fuse panel.

One by one.

Remove fuse, and connect the pair of meter leads to the now empty connector pins.

Replace fuse and go to the next fuse.

When you find the fuse that is passing the 1.9 amps, do not replace the fuse. Go on an Easter egg hunt and find out what appliance or what accessory does not work.

Oh, it's the refrigerator. Just kidding.

Thank you. This is what I had in mind to do.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
In my motorhome, the CO meter and propane leak detector can use about 0.8 amps per hour. With the refrigerator on, the total is 1.2 amps per hour, or about 35 amp hours per day, what one of my 120 watt solar panels puts back daily.

You can try removing 1 fuse at a time until the amp draw goes away. Then try to figure out what is connected to that fuse.

OR install a pair of 120 watt solar panels, and make up for the power being consumed.

Check the rear TV. It might be 12 volts and draw some power due to the remote control being "Ready to use", so it constantly uses a little power to wait for the remote control to tell it to turn on. Normally people unplug the 12 volt DC TV, and only leave it plugged into 120 volt power.

Also check the inverter. if it is left on, it can use about 1 amp, perhaps the whole 1.9 amps that you are looking for.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
On what basis are you saying battery low? Looking at a four bar light for battery power? Or an actual voltage measurement?

The best solution is, put in an accurate voltmeter, then record it's voltage as you camp. Pretty soon you will know the actual decline rate by plotting a chart and then you will see how long it really lasts.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Refrigerator, CO detector, LP Detector, Radio, Thermostat.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
1.9a in 24 hrs is only 45.6AH. Not enough to be "low" More info please. What charger? How do you know you got to "full" ? After you brought the new batts home did you charge them up to full and get a "baselihe SG" ? ( They are not truly full 'off the shelf' ) After you answer all that, no doubt there will be more to pester you with ๐Ÿ™‚
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
24 hours 1.9 amps will 50% deplete one battery in one day.

Grab your digital voltmeter than has of course, a 10 amp setting.

Go to the DC fuse panel.

One by one.

Remove fuse, and connect the pair of meter leads to the now empty connector pins.

Replace fuse and go to the next fuse.

When you find the fuse that is passing the 1.9 amps, do not replace the fuse. Go on an Easter egg hunt and find out what appliance or what accessory does not work.

Oh, it's the refrigerator. Just kidding.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Just in case.......this happened to us. Our DP had a switch in the bedroom, waaaaay UP by the ceiling that turned the heater for the motor on....to keep the diesel "usable"........ we had no idea it was there, nothing in the manual about it.....just happened to see it one day. Before that, we'd had it to 3 (THREE) repair shops and they couldn't figure out why we were draining batteries.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

jocat54
Explorer
Explorer
Not that I can find.

mbopp