Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pex crimp tool?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Anybody use this tool successfully?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-3-8-in-1-2-in-and-3-4-in-PEX-Crimp-Tool-23383/205435373

I know there are better tools but I hope (fingers crossed) that I will only have to use this once (replace leaky hot water heater bypass)
20 REPLIES 20

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I did the repair today and was 3-for-3 leak-free connections.

This is what I replaced:

and this is what the valve looked like after I cut it out:

This is the tool (from Home Depot) that I used:

Here's the back view of the new part:

Look on the right to see the crack where it leaked. I think the original installer put one turn too many on the fitting and it eventually cracked. I tried it on the other side and got about 95% of the way around and the fitting cracked on that side:

If you're going to use a brand new blade in your utility knife to cut the pex, wear heavier gloves than I did:

I could have gotten the tool back into the plastic pretty easily for a return, but I'm going to keep it - just asking for more leaks if I return the tool ๐Ÿ™‚

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
It's not good enough just to crimp the rings. The good PEX tools also stretch the pipe so you can put the other fittings inside the pipe.

Go ahead and get one of the really good Pex tools. Home Depot and Lowes both also sell them.

ronfisherman
I use the SS clamps made for PEX. With a crimp tool purchased at Amazon. Works well. Have made many changes to the plumbing in my RV and repairs in others.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
There are several different types of PEX and at least three types of crimp rings and tools. I have placed nearly 5'000 ft. of oxygen barrier PEX in a new shop building the past couple years and use standard fitting and copper crimp rings. Due to the scope of my project I purchased a crimp tool kit with 3/8", 1/2", 3/4", and 1" tool dies for around $125.00.

If you are doing just a few fittings, use the "shark-bit" fittings available at Home Depot. All you need is a cutter and preferably a camphor tool. The fittings do not leak and can be removed with a small inexpensive plastic tool.

Should you have more questions send me a PM. ๐Ÿ™‚
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
I wonder if this will fit.

http://www.sharkbite.com/product/male-elbows/

Hmmmm.

Have used SB fittings for several repairs and they are so easy to use (even in cramped spaces). I carry straights, 90's, 1/2" male to females and valves just to name a few as repair parts. :C Even carry a piece of tubing.

Don't leave home without them.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Apollo crimper in the Lowes link above. Has worked great for me. Where space is limited it is sometimes difficult to get the full width of the handles open to make a good crimp.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
RJsfishin wrote:
Flair-it fittings, they CAN'T leak, and you don't need no crimpers ! Been dis cussed here a hundred times.

Water heater bypass ?? Why ? And if need be, you take the valve down to the plummer and have a short pc of tube crimped on, then use Flair-it from there.

Flair-It, SeeTech/Watts, Sharkbite/Gatorbites......lots of options that do not require bands/clamps/tools

And that water heater bypass........use one of the above (they make valves also)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
LittleBill wrote:
i used a similar tool from lowes

and the band clamps

prolly used over 400 so far, 0 leaks ever. i love pex

http://www.supplyhouse.com/PEX-Clamp-Tool-Clamps-560000

X3 Done numerous fittings with this one and it is an easy, inexpensive and sure way of getting a tight, non-leaking connection.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was re-routing some PEX lines and went to LOWES to get what I needed... They cut to the size I needed and put the connectors on for me... Can't beat that...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

desertratt1
Explorer
Explorer
hi,
i have the sharkbite and have used it. works great! also made in USA not china like lowes sells. its real easy to use with the go no go tool included to see if crimp is correct otherwise pex is where its at. you should have no problems. the tool is preset at the factory for 50000 crimps before adjustment needed.

Good Luck!!

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I have used this one.

PEX Crimper

It worked very well in the tight places you will most likely have with a trailer.

It is small and I keep it with several crimp fittings in the trailer.

I like the looks of this one better.

Crimper

As it has the go/nogo gauge built in. The one I had the gauge is separate and can be misplaced or not always with the crimper.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Flair-it fittings, they CAN'T leak, and you don't need no crimpers ! Been dis cussed here a hundred times.

Water heater bypass ?? Why ? And if need be, you take the valve down to the plummer and have a short pc of tube crimped on, then use Flair-it from there.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Fubeca
Explorer
Explorer
I have the $24 tool from HomeDepot and used it to replace a broken T-fitting under my sink. It worked perfectly and fit easily into the tight space. Make sure you have a large enough pair of vice grips in order to have the leverage to tighten the crimp.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't look at web site but I bought the Home Depot $62 crimp tool and it works great. Buy the pex pipe cutting tool also. Make sure sure you have good quality pex stainless clamps. There are cheap clamps on the market. (Some hardware stores sell cheap clamps that are very narrow) I got my clamps at Home Depot. Use brass fittings not plastic. I re-plumbed my MH washer and also some stuff in my S&B. No leaks. Make sure clamp is back from end of tubing about 1/16". The tool comes with a go/no go gauge so the tool can be adusted properly. If it leaks you are doing something wrong, not the tool.

Went back and checked that tool. Buy the better quality tool.