cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable solar panel

boulderado
Explorer
Explorer
We're not doing much off-the-grid camping, but occasionally we venture off the beaten path and promptly run out of juice with our Interstate class 27 deep cycle ๐Ÿ™‚

We're considering making some upgrades to the trailer (including solar panels, a better converter, AGM etc.), but aren't quite ready to commit (wife might want new trailer instead).

So in the meantime I am looking for a portable panel that will keep the battery charged up enough to run the fridge 24/7, water pump and a few halogen bulbs at night. We're mostly out here in the West so plenty of sunshine during summer months.
Knut and Susan FMCA 351422
[black]'18 Keystone Cougar 24 SABWS[/black]
[black]'19 Ford F-150 XLT FX4 SuperCrew Ecoboost aka Big Red[/black]
[black]Blue Ox SwayProยฎ Weight Distributing Hitch[/black]
39 REPLIES 39

red31
Explorer
Explorer
ecoworthy has poly, ditch the controller/replace and wire as needed if capable. They come with no disconnects! Don't forget the crimping tool(s).

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, the renogy solar suitcase case unzips wide enough for you to cover the panel while setting up...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
steveh27 wrote:
Last year I had replaced the cheap controller with the Solar 30 off ebay. MY SOC was 82, but I was not getting the amps expected. I finally read the new controller manual and checked the voltage cutoff limit. It was factory set at 13.7 v. I reset it to 14.8 and the amps went up from 1.1 to almost 4. Sweet to finally figure out how to do this.

IIRC - correct me if I'm wrong - this is a "single-stage" controller. Not a normal three-stage. They swap labels and model names in China, hard to tell what is what. So I might be wrong.

You set "seize-charge voltage", say, 13.7V, and charging stops when battery rises to 13.7. Then charging resumes again when voltage drops below 12.5 (or whatever the "reconnect voltage" is set to).

Basically, an On-Off floater. Setting it to 14.8V and leaving it there for more than a few hours might not be a good idea.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
smkettner wrote:
If I had a suitcase or portable kit with integrated controller... the first thing I would do is remount the controller near the battery to be always connected and minimal voltage drop.

Yes.

With disconnects btw controller and panel - because you can't usually keep the panel in the same storage compartment. And replace cheap hardware and hinges on the panels with stainless. Next logical step would be replacing the controller (on most portable kits, not on all of them). And then - the panels, with Poly ๐Ÿ™‚

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I just hooked up my 120 watt portable for the 1st time this year. Last year I had replaced the cheap controller with the Solar 30 off ebay. MY SOC was 82, but I was not getting the amps expected. I finally read the new controller manual and checked the voltage cutoff limit. It was factory set at 13.7 v. I reset it to 14.8 and the amps went up from 1.1 to almost 4. Sweet to finally figure out how to do this.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If I had a suitcase or portable kit with integrated controller... the first thing I would do is remount the controller near the battery to be always connected and minimal voltage drop.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:
Battery needs to be connected to the controller first, so the controller knows whether to provide 12v or 24v charge voltages to your battery arrangement.

and there are controllers that can determine 12/24v when connected to the batt last.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Battery needs to be connected to the controller first, so the controller knows whether to provide 12v or 24v charge voltages to your battery arrangement.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 95 watt GoPower panel that came with the trailer, added another 100 watt panel on the roof, & carry a 160 watt Solar Blvd portable. During the summer the roof top panels keep my pair of 6V batteries full, however with the short days & low angle sun in the Winter, adding the portable is necessary. I switched out the GoPower controller for a more adjustable Blue Sky 30, and added a panel mount SAE connector to plug in the portable (I added an additional connector to the portable to bypass the built in controller).

xyzHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
red31 wrote:
xyzHollyxyz wrote:

"One has to connect the batt last..."

For prewired suitcase models that have the controller on the back of the panel and already wired. No other to do it.

For a homemade portable, one show add some method of disconnect between the panel and controller to allow for the controller to be connected to batt and then the panel. If not, one should point panel away from sun while connecting to the battery.

Thanks!

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Different controllers, different instructions. Most controllers need to be connected to the battery first to set the voltage. Others like the little portables give you no choice.

The clarification come in the instructions of each unit.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

red31
Explorer
Explorer
xyzHollyxyz wrote:

For prewired suitcase models that have the controller on the back of the panel and already wired. No other to do it.

For a homemade portable, one show add some method of disconnect between the panel and controller to allow for the controller to be connected to batt and then the panel. If not, one should point panel away from sun while connecting to the battery.

xyzHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
For those of us following this thread and trying to learn how to effectively and properly use solar, two contradictory statements have just been made:

"Controller should be connected to battery first..."

Any clarification available?

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
We have a Chinese no-name 120 watt portable suitcase thing -- it is wonderful. Free juice from the sky!

Yes, we have to deploy it and store it -- but it means we can park in the shade and put the panel in the sun. If you decide to use a longer cable, get a thick one -- a thin cable will have a lot of resistance and will cause a voltage drop over a longer run.

I pretty much knew, Dan, when I sold you that portable panel, that it would be a very good fit for your usage levels. Dan's energy audits were spot on for this size solar panel for his batteries. Chase the sun aiming the panel at it on short winter days, and you should still have enough to meet your needs on most sunny days.

No one should knock people that buy and use portable solar panels, they are very practical and have their place in smaller applications and setting camp in shaded areas. They provide added versatility.