cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable Solar panels

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
I mostly dry camp in my Class B Roadtrek and even though I have a generator it seems such a waste to run it just to charge batteries. And since I'm usually out on the trails during the day I don't have much time to run the genny if I'm in a campground with quiet time restrictions. I've looked at those portable solar units that are sold on-line and at Quartzite, but most seem to be running about $500. I found these Eco-Worthy folding solar panels this morning and they appear to be identical to the other portable solar panels. Does anyone have any experience with these? Good, bad, indifferent?

I'd love to install something permanent, but roof space is limited on the Roadtrek. Plus I'd like to keep the sleek look of the RV if possible. I did find these marine grade bendable glue-down panels that will fit, but they're on the expensive side. Any comments on these?

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Tom M,

There may almost always be shipping unless you live close enough to pick up the panels in person.

The point I was attempting to make is that with dirt cheap panel prices, enough solar to work well even in shade can be installed.

If I "lay off" using my inverter, my system does 7 amps at solar noon in leafy shade, so my battery bank with the usual loads would be fully charged each and every day. I also get 3 amps in the rain.

I did a little calculating recently and if the temperature outside is 2 c (35 f) and I keep the rv at 20 c (68 f), I can run for 13 days without dropping below 50% state of charge, and that is assuming it rains every day.

Since the OP has a much smaller bank, he needs to have a larger watt to amp-hour ratio. Roadtrek uses 245 watts--so probably so should he.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Portable panels can "walk off". I would do a permanent install on the roof. Roadtrek now offer this as an option. They use a single 245 watt panel if my memory serves.

$121 for 150 watts
Plus $88 shipping = $209.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi bob,

How many watts is the unit you ordered?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
EsoxLucius wrote:
Instead of the 144 watt marine flex panel one could get three of the 100 watt Grape Solar flex panels from Home Depot for the same price. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-Solar-PhotoFlex-100-Watt-Monocrystalline-Solar-Panel-GS-PHOTOFLEX-1... Just glue or VHB them down. Should be room for two on top of a Roadtrek B.

Hmmm, wonder why my searches never turned this up unless it's a relatively new offering. It's been a couple months since I last did some searches and it appears the prices have really dropped quite a bit in that time. I ordered one of the smaller Eco-Worthy portables just to see how it works for me. If it pans out I'll need to get serious about a permanent installation and maybe by then prices will have dropped even more.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Portable panels can "walk off". I would do a permanent install on the roof. Roadtrek now offer this as an option. They use a single 245 watt panel if my memory serves.

$121 for 150 watts
Regards, Don

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Nice find, smkettner!

280 watts $288 @ solarblvd

Eco-Worthy MPPT controller
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
$400 is actually a pretty good price for the 200 watt EcoWorthy portable kit. Hopefully the controller isn't crap.

Instead of the 144 watt marine flex panel one could get three of the 100 watt Grape Solar flex panels from Home Depot for the same price. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-Solar-PhotoFlex-100-Watt-Monocrystalline-Solar-Panel-GS-PHOTOFLEX-1... Just glue or VHB them down. Should be room for two on top of a Roadtrek B.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
This is the best deal I know:

280 watts $288 @ solarblvd

Add a couple hinges and a handle for portability. Run in series with low cost eco-worthy MPPT or in parallel with low cost PWM controller. Either way it is best to keep controller close to the battery. Get some MC4 cable and it is plug and play.

If you find space on the roof for one and have one portable is fine too.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I have this one which has not been in stock lately.

http://www.amazon.com/Infomon-Monocrystallline-Portable-Folding-Solar/dp/B005WMD8VY/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

It's worked OK the few times I used it.