cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Leak

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 30 lb LP bottle on each side of my fifth wheel. On the last trip, I returned to the camper to hear what sounded like water spraying out somewhere. It was propane escaping from the device shown below. It was the bottle on the sunny side behind a black door. Perhaps it was full and got too hot producing an over pressure situation?

If you see the black dot at the 9 o'clock position next to the protruding cylinder, that is a hole and gas is coming out very fast.

I shut the tank off. I am home now and want to fix it. Does anyone know what the purpose of this device is and what gas from that hole indicates? The tank on the other side has the dual tank switchover regulator that you would expect to see. It is much cooler here at home but if I turn that tank on gas still escapes from that hole.

This is my first attempt at using imgur photo hosting instead of PhotoBucket, so I hope it works.

thanks very much,
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA
12 REPLIES 12

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
DiskDoctr wrote:
High pressure regulator? I am used to seeing those as RED. How do you guys know this is a high pressure regulator from the pic?

Because of OPs second post at 4:20pm......

Update:

It appears to be a 30 PSI High Pressure Regulator made by M. B. Sturgis. This is similar, but I have model 102M

https://mbsturgis.com/rv-propane-hoses-s........tors/30-psi-high-pressure-regulator.html

Course there was the OPs description of where it was

Far side cylinder.

That helped clue in that it was the 30# reg for far side cylinder and the reg had failed (spewing propane from 'vent' hole)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
High pressure regulator? I am used to seeing those as RED. How do you guys know this is a high pressure regulator from the pic?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
cavagna brand 30 psi regulator on amazon

If the hose to the opposite side is longer than 60" it is required to have a high pressure (30 psi) regulator to prevent condensation in the line.

Consider replacing both asap. New pig tails too.

cavagna automatic regulator on amazon

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I shut the tank off. I am home now and want to fix it. Does anyone know what the purpose of this device is and what gas from that hole indicates?
It's a pressure regulator. The hole is a vent so that the regulator diaphragm isn't impeded by a closed case. If gas comes out of that hole, the diaphragm has failed. Do NOT operate your propane system with that broken regulator. Do NOT even open the gas cylinder valve.

The fix is to buy a new regulator.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

red31
Explorer
Explorer
Your high pressure regulator is bad, replace it.
the tiny hole is the vent that allows the back side of the diaphragm to equalize to atmosphere.
The diaphragm must have developed a hole, replace it.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
The subject of the high pressure regulator valve failure has come up often in the past. Some have replaced them. Some have eliminated them. Many have questioned the purpose. They are there due to a requirement by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) relating to the subject. Here is what the NFPA 1192 Standard on Recreational Vehicles says:

"5.3.11.2 Propane system pressure shall be regulated to a pressure of 30 psi (207 kpa) or less within 60 in. (1.5m) of the container outlet."

So it appears that if the distance from the street side tank to the dual stage change over regulator on the opposite side is greater than 60 inches, that high pressure regulator is required. Since all the trailers are much wider than 60", I would assume it would apply to all that have the two tanks installed on opposite sides of the trailer with the dual stage change over valve on one side. Note that propane tank pressure can be over 200 psi, so that could be over 200 psi across the piping from one side to the other without the high pressure regulator. With the pressure in the cross over pipe the same as tank pressure, the gaseous propane in that pipe could return to a liquid state when flow stopped.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
fred42 wrote:
Thanks all,

I just weighed the tank, I have never had it filled since purchase. It took this regulator more than a year to complain. The tank is 50 lbs with a tare weight of 25, so 25 lb propane in there.
full tank should be 53 to 56 pounds if i remember correctly.
if gas is coming out ybe hole regulator is bad

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all,

I just weighed the tank, I have never had it filled since purchase. It took this regulator more than a year to complain. The tank is 50 lbs with a tare weight of 25, so 25 lb propane in there.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's a screwdriver slot on the side of the tank nozzle you can use to purge.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jules6
Explorer
Explorer
My thought is it is a pressure regulator and the diaphragm is bad. I would replace it ASAP

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
Update:

It appears to be a 30 PSI High Pressure Regulator made by M. B. Sturgis. This is similar, but I have model 102M

https://mbsturgis.com/rv-propane-hoses-sturgi-stays-quick-disconnects-regulators/30-psi-high-pressur...

So maybe I should just turn the tank on and let it regulate it down? Maybe it is broken?
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A wild guess...

A secondary pressure regulator that further reduces it from eleven inches of water column as produced by the tank bound regulator?