cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane smell from water heater

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
I'm currently boondocking outside of the Grand Canyon and when we were setting up today I smelled propane from the water heater. We've only been using the electric for hot water while in campgrounds and don't bother with hot water while boondocking.

I figure tomorrow I'll go try to find a squirt bottle and test the connections around there with soapy water. If I find a leak what can I do to take care of it, at least temporarily? I'm thinking I'll plan on going to las Vegas Monday if I can't get it figured out.

What if I don't find a leak, could it be the hot water heater itself leaking the gas? If so anything I might be able to do? Would having the water heater running in that case make it safe to have the gas on? Anyway to just shut the gas to the water heater off? I'm not using it anyways, lol.

I had a ventless heater installed just a week ago and the connection is very close to the water heater so maybe that's the issue. The techs checked the connections at that time though. The smell really seems concentrated in the water heater, the smell seemed stronger when I pulled off the cover.

It's a big issue for us since we've been doing a lot of boondocking and need the gas to run the refrigerator. Not to mention it's cold up here for a Florida boy, we need our heat.

Thanks for any help (or just moral support). Recommendations on someone in Vegas to look at it would also be great(or even better here, tomorrow, I can dream can't I)

Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com
17 REPLIES 17

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
Just thought I'd mention that it was the gas valve and I purchased a new one on amazon for $50 and it seems to be working perfectly. No more "piolet light" lol.

Thanks for the help,

Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
The gas valve is bad. I hesitate to mention it, but a temporary fix would be a piece of tape over the orifice- plenty to get the leak stopped.
-- Chris Bryant

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I'm wrong but it looked like it to me. I'll post a picture when I get back this evening. Like I said it lights just by flipping a switch in the fifth wheel, it's not like I have to go and light it myself. I am correct in assuming it's the regulator if I have the damn thing turned off and there is still a flame of any kind though right?

This picture looks similar to mine actually. It lights down there in the lower left corner. I have a flame there right now with it off. If I turn it on that flame goes out after the burner under the tank lights.

Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
buylow12 wrote:
Is that not the norm anymore? (pilot)
No, the norm is DSI (direct spark ignition). I would think a 2004 unit would have that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
buylow12 wrote:
It's a 2004, I just flip a switch and it lights. I could post a picture when I get back over there this evening if it's not clear. It's got a little flame that lights just below the regulator and then the burner under the water tank. Is that not the norm anymore? The problem seems to be that it's lit when I have it off.

You have a leak...........but it is NOT the LP Regulator (that is device at the propane cylinder)

With WH being electric/propane combo that is not a 'pilot' flame.

The water heater GAS VALVE is leaking thru. That is why you SMELL propane at WH and that is why you can get a flame to light off w/o WH is service.
The GAS VALVE has to be replaced to fix this issue. (they are not serviceable)

What Brand/Model...........Suburban/Atwood.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
It's a 2004, I just flip a switch and it lights. I could post a picture when I get back over there this evening if it's not clear. It's got a little flame that lights just below the regulator and then the burner under the water tank. Is that not the norm anymore? The problem seems to be that it's lit when I have it off.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I didn't read your OP carefully.. sorry.

It's common in my coach to get propane smell when a tank is near empty. I have no idea why. As for your 30lb tank draining, have you not been running the furnace or anything else ?

I'm also curious as to why you don't run HW on propane. If I don't get a nightly shower I'm an unhappy camper.

My wife and I have noticed the same thing. When the propane tanks start to get empty we can sometimes smell propane. I have no idea why that is the case though.
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
buylow12 wrote:
... the piolet light lite even though the water heater is off of course(whoop?)
Pilot light? How old is this coach?

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
Alright so I went and tested it again. I tried this last time and nothing seemed to happen BUT this time...... the piolet light lite even though the water heater is off of course(whoop?). So I'd say I figured out the problem, the regulator is bad right?

Well I'm glad I'm not crazy at least. Is that something that will be fairly easy to replace? Something any rv store would have in stock? Or maybe even a propane dealer? Any idea on what I should pay to have it replaced?

I'm so happy I figured it out lol, now I just need to get it fixed.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
buylow12 wrote:
We have been boondocking 1 to 3 nights and then staying in a campground so we just don't bother with showers while boondocking to save water. No shower, no need for hot water.

Maybe I'm just crazy I don't know. I just tested all the fittings around the water heater and didn't notice anything leaking. The smell is really concentrated in the water heater. Also when I got up, after the had being off all night, I could swear the water heater still had a slight propane smell to it.

I know this is incredibly stupid but I just couldn't help myself since I don't know how else to test if it's the water heater leaking. I stuck my grill lighter in it, no explosion(thank god), no flame other than the lighters at all. Any other, less stupid way, that I can confirm whether it's leaking or not?

We actually haven't been using the heater for the past week much at all, mostly just refrigerator, stove, and oven. However, I was just thinking about it and I actually don't know that the tank was full. It was from when we purchased the rv actually. It was the other tank I refilled myself.

I'm thinking I'm just going to see how it goes. Maybe it's like someone said before, it smelled because the tank was going empty. I know the tank it's on now is full so if we run through this one, we have a problem. I'd still really like to get the water heater looked at though.

Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

Did you stick BBQ lighter in where flame is normally (right at end of burner tube)?
If gas valve is leaking thru..........that probably would not show.

You need to 'test' right at gas valve where propane comes out before going into/up burner tube.
And propane needs to be valved in when testing for leaks//////

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
We have been boondocking 1 to 3 nights and then staying in a campground so we just don't bother with showers while boondocking to save water. No shower, no need for hot water.

Maybe I'm just crazy I don't know. I just tested all the fittings around the water heater and didn't notice anything leaking. The smell is really concentrated in the water heater. Also when I got up, after the had being off all night, I could swear the water heater still had a slight propane smell to it.

I know this is incredibly stupid but I just couldn't help myself since I don't know how else to test if it's the water heater leaking. I stuck my grill lighter in it, no explosion(thank god), no flame other than the lighters at all. Any other, less stupid way, that I can confirm whether it's leaking or not?

We actually haven't been using the heater for the past week much at all, mostly just refrigerator, stove, and oven. However, I was just thinking about it and I actually don't know that the tank was full. It was from when we purchased the rv actually. It was the other tank I refilled myself.

I'm thinking I'm just going to see how it goes. Maybe it's like someone said before, it smelled because the tank was going empty. I know the tank it's on now is full so if we run through this one, we have a problem. I'd still really like to get the water heater looked at though.

Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
YOU HAVE A LEAK!

Either the gas valve for water heater is leaking thru, fitting is leaking OR techs didn't tighten their installation connections (or broke line when tightening)

30# propane cylinder going empty in a week..........not out of the ordinary when running furnace (cold nighttime temps) but you do have a leak. (the nose knows!)

Spray bottle with dishsoap solution (non ammonia type soap)....just enough soap to make bubbles. Spray connections, fittings, copper tubing...all of new install.

As for gas valve.......remove burner tube and spray end where main orifice is installed on gas valve (brass insert with small hole that burner tube fits over)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn't read your OP carefully.. sorry.

It's common in my coach to get propane smell when a tank is near empty. I have no idea why. As for your 30lb tank draining, have you not been running the furnace or anything else ?

I'm also curious as to why you don't run HW on propane. If I don't get a nightly shower I'm an unhappy camper.

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
Well I didn't have the heater even running so I'm not sure how I could be smelling exhaust, plus it smelled like propane to me. Also my 30lb tank ran out of gas last night before the first post which had only been filled a week ago. I did not hook up my second tank........
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com