cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about Battery Drain

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a Macerator to empty my holding tanks at home. It utilizes 12V power. I made some connections to reach the rear gray water tank and it works great but I was wondering if I can leave this attached to the battery terminals and just tuck it in the battery compartment when not in use rather than having to hook it up every time I'm going to empty the tanks. Will it draw on the battery or only when hooked up and connected to the Macerator?

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
10 REPLIES 10

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
You will not have any problem, will only draw current when the pump is switched on. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

red31
Explorer
Explorer
weather cap

https://www.amazon.com/MotoBatt-MBRTC-2-Pin-Replacement-Weather/dp/B006B7M5U4

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
I recently bought a Macerator to empty my holding tanks at home. It utilizes 12V power. I made some connections to reach the rear gray water tank ...

Judging from your pic you know how to solder and make proper use of shrink wrap so with those skills why not install a 12 vdc connector near the waste gates and wire to it from the battery. That way all you'll have to do to use your macerator is plug it in - just as I do. I chose a 7-pin Bargman connector as it's readily available at minor cost ... wire a matching Bargman to the FloJet and you're all set. :B

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
It's just a wire. It won't drain your battery. \
BUT, I would strongly recommend you add an inline fuse. Otherwise a short, possibly across the exposed end terminals, could start a fire.

the OP should be able to get a 12-v inline fuse holder at home depot, lowes, etc.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I checked our Local Hone Depot and Lowes. All they had was the inline fuse that's the glass cylinder type. I wanted the blade type because I have a ton of those on hand in the camper.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Or any good Auto parts place.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
Thanks, I plan on adding an inline fuse. I Ordered one on Amazon and I'm told it will arrive between July 14th and August 1st. Coming by a very slow boat from China. In the meantime, I'll just attach it to the posts when I need to use it and unhook it when not in use.

you should be able to get an inline fuse holder at home depot, lowes, etc.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
As long as the macerator is turned off when not being used there should be no current drain.

As KD4UPL said, it should be fused close to the positive terminal.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I plan on adding an inline fuse. I Ordered one on Amazon and I'm told it will arrive between July 14th and August 1st. Coming by a very slow boat from China. In the meantime, I'll just attach it to the posts when I need to use it and unhook it when not in use.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
It's just a wire. It won't drain your battery. \
BUT, I would strongly recommend you add an inline fuse. Otherwise a short, possibly across the exposed end terminals, could start a fire.