cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quick Test of Eco-Worthy MPPT Controller

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ordered it on 3 Oct arrived at the door 23 Oct free shipping.

Controller rated to 42V so watch that. EG I have it on one 230w panel, Voc 37v at 25C, so would be more Voc at cold temps.

Not able to do proper testing with Trimetric to measure, but rigged up a yard test to see if the thing worked at all ๐Ÿ™‚

Used one full SOC 12v battery with a 400w inverter clamped on and two 100w lamps for an estimated 20a draw. Got battery to 12.5v connected controller and 230w panel (Voc 36.8, Vmp 30 , Isc, 8.34, Imp 7.67 )

The displayed voltage was confirmed with another voltmeter. Before starting, checked disconnected panel aimed at sun, got:

34.7Voc and 8.06 Isc. (Rated 36.8 and 8.34) so expected less than max amps.

Best amps on controller when aiming panel was 14.99a Didn't note battery voltage

Lost the window--sun behind trees. It works (assuming its amps read-out is to be believed) and might even get my hoped for 16 to 17 amps on a better day. So far so good. Be a while before I can do any real testing and comparisons with PWM.

Just wanted to report the controller seems ok as was posted by JiminDenver. Jim, thanks for the good steer to this controller for $102

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26464298/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

http://www.eco-worthy.com/catalog/mppt-solar-charge-controller-free-shipping-p-182.html
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.
99 REPLIES 99

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the specs on the 120W and 160W portable folding solar panels from Solar Blvd.

Priestley Pring
Oct 25 (9 days ago)

to me
Hi,

Here are the specs on the 120:

Electrical Data
Peak Power (+/- 5%)
Voltage at Pmax (VMP) : 17.2 V
Current at Pmax (IMP) : 6.98 A
Open Circuit Voltage (VOC): 21.8 V
Short Circuit Current (ISC): 7.76 A
Maximum System Voltage: 1000V
Diode Protection Fitted
Mechanical Data
Front Glass: 3.2 mm (1/8 in) tempered
Junction Box: IP-65 rated with diode
Output Cables: 900mm length cable / Multi-contact
Frame: Anodized aluminium alloy type
Weight: 13 kgs.

Here are the specs on the 160:

Electrical Data
Peak Power (+/- 5%)
Voltage at Pmax (VMP) : 18 V
Current at Pmax (IMP) : 8.88 A
Open Circuit Voltage (VOC): 22.1 V
Short Circuit Current (ISC): 9.64A
Maximum System Voltage: 1000V
Diode Protection Fitted
Mechanical Data
Front Glass: 3.2 mm (1/8 in) tempered
Junction Box: IP-65 rated with diode
Output Cables: 900mm length cable / Multi-contact
Frame: Anodized aluminium alloy type
Weight: 16 kgs

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Friction tape! That's what I remember it being called. Thanks.
Photo in Profile

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
You can still find it as gaffer or hockey tape.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

scroller95969
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
AFAIK, the only reason to use the load terminals is so you can use the various timer features of the controller for when the load is to be on or turned off if the battery becomes too low.

I hate those tiny screw downs for attaching the wires. I ended up using #8 wire for pigtails in the bigger holes underneath the screws so when the screw is down it holds the wire and makes contact above too. Even so, I had to use black tape to keep the wires from touching each other at the terminals and shorting.

( I don't know what to call that black tape. It used to be called hockey stick tape and it was not this new vinyl kind either. Hope that does not date myself ! ๐Ÿ™‚ )

Friction tape?
Jeff & Lori
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 22B - Chevy chassis
10' Wells cargo trailer
Gracie Mae - our 9 year old Papillon

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
AFAIK, the only reason to use the load terminals is so you can use the various timer features of the controller for when the load is to be on or turned off if the battery becomes too low.

I hate those tiny screw downs for attaching the wires. I ended up using #8 wire for pigtails in the bigger holes underneath the screws so when the screw is down it holds the wire and makes contact above too. Even so, I had to use black tape to keep the wires from touching each other at the terminals and shorting.

( I don't know what to call that black tape. It used to be called hockey stick tape and it was not this new vinyl kind either. Hope that does not date myself ! ๐Ÿ™‚ )
Photo in Profile

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
The reason I was asking is that I have my Eco Worthy controller installed, but the manual reset circuit breakers haven't arrived yet. I was thinking about installing 2 different cigarette lighter power sockets, one off of the battery and one off of the "load" side of the controller if it provided decent power during the daytime. I guess I could run both power sockets off of the batteries. I was just curious if the "load" side actually worked at around 12 volts.

Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Not yet

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
JiminDenver, have you ever tried the power off of the "load" side of the Eco-Worthy MPPT controller?
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
NinerBikes wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
BFL

At least I think it was you. Asked about temp effects and what temp panels are referenced to.

well, I just got a 100 W portable panel from solar world. And looked at the panel spec's. Nominal panel temp for rated spec's for Imp and Isc and Vmp is 47C.

Which works out to pretty close to the panel temps I was seeing in my report on MPPT controllers for panel temp at a 70F ambient.

Link to 100w portable panel from solar world? My Googler is having a hard time finding that product.

Well, looks like solar blvd is kinda like Costco. If you see it and want it buy it because it may be gone tomorrow.

Yup, looked, and it looks like the 100 and 160 W panels are gone. All that I found was a 120W panel.

The webpage does not keep up on current inventory. They have 160W folding, for like $245 or $249. The 120w folding is $195.

I suggest you call them and place an order, the web page is not correct on all their current offerings... some items are there, but do go on back order. They had 160w in stock when I bought my 120W job 10 or 12 days ago.

Call them. 951 279 8100

I bought the 120w job and here at 34*N , I had no problems pulling in 6.33 amps, and my battery was only run with some lights for 15 mintutes before I plugged in the solar panel with a $15 RC charger reader. This was a week ago, late Octobrer, so the sun is sitting a lot lower now, than most of the time when I camp.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
You may have to call them on the 160w kit, it never showed on the web site even with the link they sent me in the email. Even if they are gone, I bet they get more in as well as they have sold.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
BFL

At least I think it was you. Asked about temp effects and what temp panels are referenced to.

well, I just got a 100 W portable panel from solar world. And looked at the panel spec's. Nominal panel temp for rated spec's for Imp and Isc and Vmp is 47C.

Which works out to pretty close to the panel temps I was seeing in my report on MPPT controllers for panel temp at a 70F ambient.

Link to 100w portable panel from solar world? My Googler is having a hard time finding that product.

Well, looks like solar blvd is kinda like Costco. If you see it and want it buy it because it may be gone tomorrow.

Yup, looked, and it looks like the 100 and 160 W panels are gone. All that I found was a 120W panel.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
The folding panel systems at solarblvd are nice although the controller is suspect. Were I starting out I would have taken one of the 160w units the first time they had them out. Then again I'm usually pretty good at keeping the cost down and my 450w system will end up costing $400 even with twin MPPT controllers.

the latest deals I found was these.

200w kit for $299.99

or this

100w kit for $179

both are free shipping.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe something like this to help keep the cost down?

120W folding solar panel.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
JiminDenver wrote:
The MPPT vs PMW debate will rage on just as the FLA vs AGM will. BFL is doing all of us a great service with his comparisons and testing, those designing a system should pay attention.

Cost is a easy basic comparison but should be on the whole, not just the controller. 12v panels cost more per watt, have a larger footprint per watt, need heavier wiring all so you can save a few bucks on the controller.

Look at the controllers being compared too. The ultra cheap PWM controllers have few if any features. The one from Solarblvd has many returns too. Are you saving money if you have to replace the controller or decide you want one with features like a display, the ability to set charge values or in some cases even a float? What does a nice PWM controller cost and how does that system on a whole compare price wise?

I was hoping the $12 RJ special MPPT controller was real and would give a apples to apples comparison for price. Then we found it didn't do MPPT at all and a 24v panel would only be good on a 24v bank. Too bad too because that would have really dropped a 24v system in price.

12v has always had the edge in price while the 24v system has it in footprint. Cheaper 24v panels and controllers like the Eco-W brought them closer until I saw the 200w 12v system shipped and ready to go for $300. That's going to be hard to beat unless you can find your panels cheap like I did.

A 140 W 12 volt panel from Solar Blvd for $140 and a 10 or 15 amp PWM on ebay is hard to beat, price per amp. 7 to 8 amps per hour peak, if you aim it and chase the sun 2 or 3x a day, is not a bad start for a person in a travel trailer. Add in a $15 RC charger indicator in line, and you can figure out quite quickly where to aim to pull in then max chaging amps per hour of the day.