cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quick Vote: Battery Reservoir Cover Caps -- On or Off?

CopilotCompanio
Explorer
Explorer
Placed my 12 volt battery on a trickle charger in the garage today. Friend insisted the caps that cover the water reserviors should be opened to avoid a build up of gases that would lead to an explosion. That sounds like a good way for the water to evaporate to me but I didn't want to contradict him. (He'd been kind enough to help me lift a battery that was too heavy for me.). And, to tell you the truth, I wasn't really sure?

I'll watch the battery over the Winter. But should I re-cover the water reservoir with the caps? What say you? Caps on? Or caps off?

Thanks, in advance,

/CC
DH: Designated Curmudgeon
Lupรฉ the Rescue Dog: Self-appointed Tattletale
DW: Copilot & Companion
No offense intended. Sarcasm is my strong suit.
23 REPLIES 23

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
CopilotCompanion wrote:
Friend insisted the caps that cover the water reserviors should be opened to avoid a build up of gases that would lead to an explosion.

That is about the *%#*@! suggestion I have ever heard (not condemning you, you asked a legitimate question, I am commenting on your friend)

Automobile alternators put out from 60 to 180 amp, and charge the batteries fairly heavy after a normal start. Does your friend remove the caps on his car batteries when he is driving? Or a golf cart when it is charging, or a electric man lift when it is plugged in, or anything else with batteries with removable caps?

The caps are vented.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Remove them to equalize charge the battery. For normal charging leave them in place.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MrWizard
leave them in place

many years ago maybe 50?
when batteries were shipped dry/empty
it was common to add the acid, then hit them with a high voltage charge
and the caps were left off for this initial activation

but normal charging, normal floating/tending does NOT need them to be remove
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

red31
Explorer
Explorer

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Agree with others; they're vented and designed to be left in place when charging.
Does your buddy take his off when he's driving his car? ๐Ÿ˜‰

gypsmjim
Explorer
Explorer
I would NEVER use a trickle charger, but that's another story. In the old days I would always take the caps of when on the charger, and then put them back on when it was fully charged. Charge them up and then let them sit another month off season before charging again.

Recently I had a problem with a battery that was still under warranty. The dealer said NO NO NO don't take the caps off when charging. Just for laughs I asked several other dealers. They all said the same thing.

Now if you insist on trickling, and thus keeping the acid boiling all the time, then maybe you should check weekly for fluid loss, whether you use the caps or not.
2015 Jayco Flight SLX 195RB
Permanently set up on a beautiful mountaintop retreat in Southwest NYS

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
When the batteries are in service they charge with the caps on.
Leave the caps installed. And, use a battey tender, not a trickle charger.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leave them on, they're vented.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
Leave caps installed.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner