cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ran my Onan without oil

OSCBRADLEY
Explorer
Explorer
I made a horrible error. I drained the oil in my generator with the intent to run right out, grab some new oil and put it in. Nope, got sidetracked and forgot all about it until a few weeks later. Started up the genny, it ran for a few minutes and shut down. After I figured out why, I added oil and tried to get it running. It seemed to turn over ok but wouldn't catch. I am REALLY hoping there is a sensor switch of some type that turned off the genny before irreparable damage occurred and just needs to be reset. I'm sure nobody has done this but would anyone have any insight on what the problems i am looking at could be?
2016 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B
24 REPLIES 24

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
They did that at the dealership I worked at. Did a service on a big truck and forgot to tighten the drain plug and the driver was going down the road, the plug came out and the engine ate itself to the tune of 20 grand,

Poop happens.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Have a buddy that had his mechanic do the same thing to his truck.
Mechanic paid for a long block.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
your not in the club by yourself I,ve done things too. let us know how it turns out,

OSCBRADLEY
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses so quickly!! The model is 4KYFA26100PSPEC is "P"
s/n J150884065
2016 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please post Model Number, Spec Code, and Serial Number.

If it's in the "4KY" series, it's a lot like a small mower engine. Splash Lubed, No Oil Pump, No Oil Filter, and unless ONAN has put it back, NO Low Oil Sensor. 4KY's had them for awhile (the lower Spec Codes) but discontinued them.

A replacement "short block" for them is not as expensive as you might think. Far from free, but at a few $ hundred, better than a new genset. Then there's the labor of changing it. The OP who posted here, ordered the engine and did the labor himself.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a new Cummins/Onan they have gone to splash oil lubrication. No filter, no oil pump and their literature no longer lists a Low Oil Shutoff.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
Typically when an engine is run without oil, the first thing to go is the cam lobes. Pull the valve cover and see if the valves are moving.
RVing since 1995.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do compression test. I am surprised good (?) generator has no low oil shut down?
Anyway, if you scored cylinder and piston, the engine is toasted.
$13 buys you android endoscope camera that you can stick into plug hole and inspect the condition.

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
The fact that it "ran for a few minutes" and then shut down makes it sound like there wasn't a sensor. Sorry to say this but it may be time to start shopping for another generator.
E.Lee Galik

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've done things like that when your memory gets fuzzy as you get older. Now if I have to leave a project which is half complete, I take a piece of blue tape and put it where it can prominently be seen. Then as things have it, when I get back to it I see the tape and it reminds me that something is not complete.

With me, after a "day or 2", I remember what I didn't do :S
RVing since 1995.