cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Range hood fans

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
My fan make a lot of noise and it don't looks that it move air much.What a good fan quite and efficient to replace it? Sorry wrong place to list it .Can moderator move it in the right place?
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023
19 REPLIES 19

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our vent latches inside as well, and I put a small label by the switch that says "Vent unlatched?" as a reminder. Our previous RV had the vent latches outside, and I used the same label inside.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
It moves a fair amount of air but.. The range hood on an RV is an exhaust fan. now this fan sends air outside via a "Flapper Valve" On most RV's the Flapper is OUTSIDE and is locked closed by a pair of twist tab. you have to UNLOCK it for it to open and let the air out.

on some (Mine) the flapper is INSIDE. and the latch is up under the hood on the Right. as I recall Pulled out (it's a piece of spring steel) is OPEN but don't quote me on that. I had to take the hood apart to figure it out believe it or not.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced the OEM fan in our hood with a Silverstone 180mm fan (don't recall the model) about 6 years ago, and it runs so quiet I added a small red LED next to the switch to remind us when it's turned on. It moves plenty of air, and I used the same type of fan to replace the noisy OEM fan in the bathroom as well. I didn't see any need for the included speed control in either case.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
I pulled one out of a 1972 Winnie and eventually used it. The motor is really big, the fan aggressive and it is super quiet, and moves a lot of air. If you get lucky to score an old fan like this it should fit into modern hoods.
Back then the vent filters were bigger too.

The noise likely is from your fan blades. Fan blades with rings around it, where the blades are connected on the very ends with a hoop, will be more quiet and more efficient.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
buc1980 wrote:
Any body use that fan how do you like it.The expensive diesel RV use them?
I installed the SAM-1 & love it. That said, I've read that the manufacturer is no longer making them so availability is limited. It is still listed here.

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I install the Sam1-81 and I am very please with it.I can feel the air move very strong and the noise is very ,very low.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the vent fan in our Bpunder, used a spare computer fan and some fairly thin mild steel sheeting. DW loved it and I'd do the same with our Winnie except that the exhaust fan it in the MW/convection oven.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Blacklane
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a post I made several years ago about adding a PWM controller. That's a big help, but only if the fan noise is acceptable at full speed. If not, then you need a different fan plus maybe a PWM controller.
Link

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
buc1980 wrote:
Any body use that fan how do you like it.The expensive diesel RV use them?

I have one. DW loves it. It's much quieter than the old one and has 3 speeds. The LED light is a huge improvement, can now actually see what's on the stove. And it's also got a night life setting. It really does move a lot of air, no more setting off the smoke alarm, plus you can open the vent from inside.
If you're replacing a ventline brand it's pretty easy. Just unscrew the fan box and screw in the new one. If you have a hengs it's a lot more work because the fan box is spot welded in so you have to drill them out which is a tedious.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the room to fit it, an EB Pabst brand German fan stays silent even when the blades get gunked up. Bearings in this fan are huge. I also agree with Landyacht's choice of fan.

Older big rigs used to come with encased in wire fans that vibrate so bad they would snap rivets on a Peterbuilt cab. Squirrel cage fans are not easy to clean. And they are death with small motors and bushings instead of ball bearings.

Anything greater than 150 CFM (more or less) may disturb flame pattern on stove top burners.

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
What size is the fan that needs to be replaced?

Someone once PM'd me about options for a range fan, and I recommended either the silverstone AP182, or the FM181.

both are 180MM fans, both come with speed controllers built in, so one can twist a dial to change rpm.

The AP182 goes to 2000 rpm and moves lot of air, the FM181 cfm rating is not much less, despite only 1300 rpm max.

My AP182 did nto like battery charging voltages, had to limit it to 12v or less or the hub would get too hot at max speed. This is the only 12v fan I have owned and used which had issues with battery charging voltages, even those that claimed a 13.5v max, have have no issues with 16.2v.

My fm181 replacement has no issues all day long at 14.7v and max speed. The person who PM'd me chose to install the FM181 and pm'd me back how quiet it was and how well it worked.

I recommend peeling back the sticker on the hub and globbing some dielectric grease where the wires solder to the circuit board. I use Amazing goop for this. If nothing is done green corrosion will break the wire at this solder joint, although the greases from cooking will likely inhibit that occurrence. My fans which have failed from corrosion here have almost exclusively been intake fans sucking in damp salty air.

I have computer fans that are used exhaust fans that see cooking fumes. They have not had issues with corrosion or the cooking fumes, but cleaning their oily dusty covered blades can be tediously time consuming with 3 qtips at a time dipped in rubbing alcohol.

Computer fans come in many sizes, 120Mm is the most common but 140mm, along with 180 200 and 230 are also available as well as smaller sizes,92 , 80, 70, 60 and 40mm being popular sizes with many options to choose from.

Noctua has some industrial computer fans that are IP67 rated, but the 12v models are only 2000 rpm, the 3k rpm IP67 rated fans are 24v.

I still covered the wire entry of my IP52 rated noctua industrial fans with Amazing goop. I have the NF-f12 3k rpm industrial and the 3k rpm 140mm fan, on the Noctua NA-FC1 PWm speed controller for use on 4 wire PWM computer fans.

If one puts a computer fan on a PWM speed controller, they should seek a pwm motor speed controller of more than 21kHZ or it will make an annoying Audible whine at lowered speeds.

I control several fans through voltage buckers. No whine, but they lose a nearly a volt on the top end for less top speed, but I usually have at least 13.6v available to feed them so 12.6v reaching the fan through the bucker is still over the 12v even where the fan ratings are collected.

One 30v rated fan I own (not a computer fan but about 6.5 inch diameter, 2 inches thick), is speed controlled through a voltage buck/booster. Works from 7.46v where it draws 0.09 amps, to 33V where it draws 3 amps. Even at 12.8v(0.51 amps) this fan moves in the 165CFm range, which is likely far more than the range hood fan.

The engineering that goes into many computer fans is impressive. One will never look at a flat angled fan blade in the same way again, when one has seen the beauty of the foils on some of the impellers on these computer fans.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
buc1980 wrote:
Computer fan use 12 V?
Yes ive seen 5v, 12v and 24v versions.

Its a cheap option that will be quiet and work great and draw very little power.

Negative is you will have to macgyver it in. Some people like tinkering and some are not a "fan"......cough wink.

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
I put a variable speed control on ours. DW loves it and it still moves all the air that is needed.

Speed Control
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Computer fan use 12 V?