cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

rear axle tire wear

bigfink
Explorer
Explorer
I have a rear axle tire wear problem. The passenger side rear axle has excessive inside wear, driver side has same pattern but not as bad. What causes this howdoI fix it
10 REPLIES 10

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
A loose bearing can also cause that wear. Probably not likely on a newer unit though.

A few weeks ago I helped someone in a CG put on a spare tire on his pre-owned TT because he had no jack or tire iron. The flat one had the tread badly worn on the inside which I expected to be caused by a bent axle. Turned out that he had a rather loose wheel bearing on that wheel and also the other one on that side. The PO had replaced and repacked the bearings, but obviously not properly.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Showed up all at once? Don't know how old or total towing mileage you have but it could be the eye of the spring bushing cracked or worn out or you could have caught a curb bad with that axle and the bushing or hanger or bent axle. My vote is in the hanger area because that axle, if used much has more stress, from jacking it around, to back in and sharp turns forward. That tire also gets more stress on belts. Check the tires first then the hangers and bushings and springs and then axles.

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
You could use some of the information in the reference below to do a little troubleshooting.

Click Here!.

FastEagle

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Get a 2' carpenter's level and check the tire camber (vertical plumb-ness). Should be the same for all wheels. Get a 6' straight edge and check that the outside of the tires are in alignment from front to rear (all should just touch the straight edge). You can do this by pulling a string taut from front to rear as well. A shop that deals with the front axles of semis can re-align, but a replacement axle may be no more expensive. Just depends on the shops in your area.
Currently Between RVs

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Both the wheels on that axle are not pointed in the same direction. Oh yeah, you probably knew that,:))) so when did this start, right after you hit something ? Or it this RV new to you ?? Etc etc.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bent axle, bad spindle, alignment, broken shackle, loose bolts etc
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bigfink
Explorer
Explorer
It is the rear axle on my trailer. I know it is not over loaded. We are currently out on a trip, it was a new tire and I have put 700 miles on this tire. My axle rating is 3500# & each tire is rated for1820#. If I could load a pic I would. The inside tread is gone & the rest of the tire looks new.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Axle on what? Truck, trailer, motorhome?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Could be from overloaded, bent axle, bad spindle, alignment, spring hanger, loose bolts..........
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I would have the axle alignment checked if it were mine.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter