cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear radiator cleaning for dp

aihchris107
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 Monaco Knight 40 PDQ. How do i access the rear radiator and cooler and how do I clean it properly Thank You
8 REPLIES 8

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
I have had good results from a garden hose, on a gas. Rad, and not to hurt anything else.imho, anything any stronger(on the outside) is too strong.imho and now it's all --happy-camping

aihchris107
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies.I am going to clean the units this weekend

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how your coach is set up. On our coach, I removed six screws, and the louvered cover lifted off to fully expose the coolers.

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
I cleaned mine last week, doing almost exactly what Wolfe said above. I used regular Simple Green and AC condenser cleaner. I rinsed until the debris stopped, and then rinsed until there was no trace of foaming when the water hit the coils. (Probably a good ten to fifteen minutes of flushing.) I used a water hose with a nozzle, but no pressure washer.

A decent pressure washer could destroy a radiator's fragile fins in a second.

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

islandvagabonds
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Wolfe's comments.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Be VERY VERY careful using a power washer-- very easy to bend the fins.

Please confirm, but I believe your cooling system is STACKED (vs sandwiched).

So it is only a single layer thick (CAC usually on top of radiator).

Since I believe your OE cooling package is Aluminum, you need an aluminum friendly detergent. Best is probably Simple Green EXTREME-- designed for cleaning aluminum airplanes.

Since it is a single layer thick, you can do most of the cleaning from the back (back of coach). With radiator cool or almost cool, wet down the metal (garden hose with regular garden nozzle). Use a spray bottle to apply detergent. Let it sit for a few minutes, but NOT long enough to dry out. Systematically rinse down from the top with the hose nozzle. Repeat until nothing dirty comes out.

Probably wouldn't hurt to put plastic bags over things in the engine room you don't want wet, like the alternator.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

chipper
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful about using too much water pressure & flattening out the fins, (BTDT).
gene

tandkj
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing I can remember reading about this was using a power washer and spraying thru from the outside. If you need the Monaco customer hotline number to give them a call leave me a message.
Tis another fine day to serve in and for the glory of the Corps. Every day is a holiday and every meal a feast.
08 Camelot Custom build
07 Ranger Toad
One Golden Retriever at the Rainbow Bridge and a new one traveling with us.