cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommend a new 50 amp transfer switch

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replace a Power Max 50 amp transfer switch. It's only about 3 or 4 years old, has failed, and they say parts aren't available. Because of this I'm wanting to replace with a different brand.
I want the best one, not the cheapest one. In reading reviews it seems that some have contactors that are powered for either shore power or generator. This means they hum ALL the time, not just when switched one way. Apparently some use contactors with AC coils that hum, some use DC coils that are quieter.
The Esco switch seems to get consistently good reviews. I've never heard of them. Anyone using an ESCO?
I'd like a recommendation of a good switch as well as a warning about a bad one.
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

Specularius
Explorer
Explorer
LPT50BRD
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 Scorpion Diesel Reese Ford Hitch
2014 Grand Design Momentum 355TH

MrWizard
Many if not all, 50 amp transfer switches, use dual aka (2) relays, so yes one contactor is engaged when 120v is present, nothing is engaged on either line when no power is available
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You might want to read through information on this one from Progressive Dynamics.
Progressive Dynamics

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Randy recommended returning to the same one that broke. I do want to call him back and ask some more in depth questions.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Contact Randy at Best Converter
Best Converter

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker