cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommended charging method or equip on 3-5 wk trip!!

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Our trailer has a PD4045 convertor and two 5-1/2 year old Costco 6GC's (holding up great). We are going to take a 3-5 week trip down to the SW in Feb, and I'm wondering aboot keeping the batts charged up properly. We are planning on both dry and FHU camping during the trip. Mostly 1 night during travel and a few stops for a couple nights till we get to a longer stay in AZ (which will not have any hookups!!).

Will be carrying my Champion 2000 (RED!! - take that "H" owners!!!) to use as needed. I also have 2 chargers around, an old 10A Monkey Wards, and a Schumacher 40A auto. I usually "kick" my batteries once or twice a month using the old MW, since it will push to 15+ volts and hold that at around 3 amps on the old gauge. The Schumacher will hardly ever go to an equalize voltage. Only time I have seen that is when charging my lawn tractor battery about every 3rd or 4th charge (tractor isn't charging!).

I have never checked if the PD is doing all of its stages, I check voltages regularly, and have seen it in the low 14 range and the normal 13.4 - 13.8, but have not felt it was not doing its job. Battery SG is good, and they hold up for 4-5 days in the summer, and maybe 3 in the spring & fall temps (we boondock 95% of the time).

Planned daily driving is between 250-300 miles, maybe a bit more if necessary to reach a night stop or campground and expect to not be in an elec site every stop. SO, any experienced suggestions for proper battery upkeep during this trip, and/or a piece of equipment to help with recharging after a cool or cold night on batteries alone!!

All responses and info greatly appreciated in advance!!

Gerry
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles
9 REPLIES 9

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Ah, the solar gurus have shown up, so I should expect the generator police to stop by soon!!! Just joshing, ya'll!!! Solar might be in the future, but not before or during this trip.

My inquiry kinda stems around the often mentioned "theory" that the everyday, normal tow vehicle will not provide a high enough (strong enough, hard enough!!) charge to a discharged battery during a return from a campsite. Also, whether running a generator for a few hours (depending on time avail to do so) to charge the batts either by the PD or by an external charger is best. Many differing views on all of this on these sites!!!

I guess I'm wondering if there is an item out there (ready to go, not a kit!!) that would provide a good shot of amperage in a short amount of time before hitting the road.

Am I thinking wrong in this?? Over the years, I've gotten the impression that you need to "kick" the amps up initially to properly recharge the batts, and that just driving home (or wherever!!) isn't the best thing to do, due to the low amps available through a vehicles typical wiring to trailer.

Anyway, thanks for the responses, will keep checking and answer any ??'s that might be asked of me. As to SOLAR, someday!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

This is yet another reason to have panels on the roof. Too onerous to set up and strike while traveling.

Snowman9000 wrote:
No need to deploy on the overnights
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Well, you're in good shape already. I've been in your shoes, and in fact we are heading out shortly for 8 weeks in AZ, which will include at least two off-grid stretches of two weeks each. If you can find a place to carry something 2'x2'x4", I'd suggest a 100w portable kit from eco-worthy. No need to deploy on the overnights, but once you get there, it will help a bunch! Depending on your energy usage, it might do everything you need. Our 100w portable kept up with our usage last year in the same situation.

As ninerbikes says, you need to be able to top off the batteries, and solar or plugging to shore power are the only practical ways. The generator is only good for getting to 80-90%, unless you want to run it for 12 hours.

http://www.eco-worthy.com/catalog/100w250w-foldable-poly-solar-panel-with-solar-charge-controller-fr...

LED lights are a huge help if you haven't already changed to them. You can just change a few key ones for a start.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Until you figure out how many amps you use daily, by doing a power audit, you'll never know how much you need to put back in, if you ever plan on getting solar panels to do the recharging.

Do a search on how to do an electrical power audit here, since you've been here 11 years.

You sound set up on getting your batteries charged to 90% relatively efficiently, but getting in that last 10% is critical, and doing it by generator is generally a lot of generator noise and gas wasted for running a long period of time to get them there, better done on a pedestal with your monkey wards, not a portable generator.

Getting the last 10% charge back in, is, however, a good project for solar, even a small foldable portable solar panel set up, after an hour or two run first thing in the morning with the red machine to first get them to 90% SOC.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I would add 400 watts of solar panels and a decent controller.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO fast, easy, accurate battery monitoring should be a goal. This should be so you spend as little time as possible doing battery chores.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Pick up some solar on your way down or in AZ.
Otherwise you sound good to go.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you have this bull by the horns already. :B

Have a good trip.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

Fiverwheel
Explorer
Explorer
Gerry,
Does your truck engine charge your trailer batteries? At 300 miles per day the batteries should be well maintained.
2006 34' Monaco Cayman