cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refrigeration Temperature Pet Peeve

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
It took me several bouts of food poisoning to realize propane powered refrigeration and tropical climates do not mix. Food that "seems" cold might be perfect lab conditions for food poisoning pathogens to grow. This is especially true of gas refrigerator ineffective operation on foodstuffs stored on door shelves. I went to the FDA website and cut and will paste below their verbatim recommendations for food storage recommendations. Door storage temperature is key. So are various measurements all around the inside of the refrigerator. With freon now doing the work, this issue has gone the way of the gooney bird for me...

Storage Basics

Refrigerate or freeze perishables right away. Foods that require refrigeration should be put in the refrigerator as soon as you get them home. Stick to the "two-hour rule" for leaving items needing refrigeration out at room temperature. Never allow meat, poultry, seafood, eggs, or produce or other foods that require refrigeration to sit at room temperature for more than two hoursโ€”one hour if the air temperature is above 90ยฐ F. This also applies to items such as leftovers, "doggie bags," and take-out foods. Also, when putting food away, don't crowd the refrigerator or freezer so tightly that air can't circulate.

Keep your appliances at the proper temperatures. Keep the refrigerator temperature at or below 40ยฐ F (4ยฐ C). The freezer temperature should be 0ยฐ F (-18ยฐ C). Check temperatures periodically. Appliance thermometers are the best way of knowing these temperatures and are generally inexpensive.

Check storage directions on labels. Many items other than meats, vegetables, and dairy products need to be kept cold. If you've neglected to properly refrigerate something, it's usually best to throw it out.

Use ready-to-eat foods as soon as possible. Refrigerated ready-to-eat foods such as luncheon meats should be used as soon as possible. The longer they're stored in the refrigerator, the more chance Listeria, a bacterium that causes foodborne illness, can grow, especially if the refrigerator temperature is above 40ยฐ F (4ยฐ C).

Be alert for spoiled food. Anything that looks or smells suspicious should be thrown out. Mold is a sign of spoilage. It can grow even under refrigeration. Mold is not a major health threat, but it can make food unappetizing. The safest practice is to discard food that is moldy.

Be aware that food can make you very sick even when it doesn't look, smell, or taste spoiled. That's because foodborne illnesses are caused by pathogenic bacteria, which are different from the spoilage bacteria that make foods "go bad." Many pathogenic organisms are present in raw or undercooked meat, poultry, seafood, milk, and eggs; unclean water; and on fruits and vegetables. Keeping these foods properly chilled will slow the growth of bacteria.

Following the other recommended food handling practices (clean your hands, surfaces and produce, separate raw foods from ready-to-eat foods, and cook to safe temperatures) will further reduce your risk of getting sick.
12 REPLIES 12

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our motorhome holds right aound 35-38 degrees in the refrigerator and around 0 degrees in the freezer with it's 5-position slider switch in it's # 3 (middle) position, so we have a couple clicks either way to run warmer or colder. We bought a couple of inexpensive refrig thermometers from Camping World, one each for the RV's refrigerator section and it's freezer section. Our new home refrigerator has double compressors to better hold the refrigerator and freezer sections at whatever temperatures we set. At home we use 38 degrees for the refrigerator and 0 degrees for the freezer.

I don't know if foods sold in Mexico are required to be date coded, but the DW and myself watch dates codes in the U.S. like a hawk. We reach way back in, or sort through, store shelves to get the latest date codes on everything. We throw out all foods in the refrigerator when they're past their date codes.

So far we've kept pretty healthy from a food viewpoint, but there is probably some food waste going on by watching date codes so close.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
The FDA info is pretty much spot on but there are other things to keep in mind also. One thing that's not mentioned so far is that time and temperature must be considered when dealing with potentially hazardous foods. The longer the time at the wrong temperature the more growth of bacteria. Also the old belief that if you just bring left over food to a high enough temperature it'll be safe to eat. Not so if you're dealing with staph aureus or a spore forming bacteria. Mold growth occurs at low ph where bacteria doesn't usually grow(usually about 4.8). Mold can and will make you sick also.

Pull dates and two and three day rules are like old wives' tales. Food kept properly can last a much longer time the pull dates dictate. Conversely, milk left out of refrigeration a bit too long will be bad even if the pull date says it's still good.

For the variable temperatures that refrigerator door areas are exposed to, one should store non perishable foods there like beer, some sauces, mustard , ketchup, water, my cigars and the like.

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEX, I feel your pain. I live in the Mojave and with 6 external fans on 3 different switches for regulation and 2 internal fans, it's a constant battle to keep it near 40.
RVing since 1995.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I use an indoor/outdoor thermometer which records highs and lows to monitor my Norcold refrigerator, and it does a good job of keeping things cold whether on propane or electric.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine has a thermometer in it.. and yes, when the digits outside hit triple the ones inside do climb a bit.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
"pricey super glue that really works great"

Give ya a nickel if ya cough up a brand name or where to get it ๐Ÿ™‚

The GlueSmith industrial adhesive

www.thegluesmith.com

They are located in Alhambra, Calif

I bought the first batch in a computer show in Glendale Calif in spring 2012
The new batch I bought at Quartzite Az in Jan 2015, which is when I got the web address, I was happy to replenish my supply
This is a small.company with a superior product
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
You throw a room temp 12 pack in and you suck the cold out of the adjacent food items raising the temperature.

A fan is important to help even out the temps.

We owned a beach front vacation motel for ten years and I can't tell you how many times guests would cal the office and tell me the fridge wasn't cooling.

Id walk over, look in the fridge and they had put in a case of Florida warm beer in.

Milk was sweating.

We keep some blue ice in the freezer and if you have to put something room temp in we move a few blue ice into the fridge for a few hours.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
"pricey super glue that really works great"

Give ya a nickel if ya cough up a brand name or where to get it ๐Ÿ™‚

MrWizard
My fridge door has stuff that is quickly consumed
Chocolate, gummy bears, cheese, bottled water, the rare beer, and a bottle of steak sauce, two bottles of a pricey super glue that really works great, one bottle is THREE years old, and almost empty, just bought the second bottle in Jan
My freezer is currently reading -6Fยฐ fridge was at 38ยฐ but just restocked and reading 43ยฐ , will be back to lower temp.shortly
Can't beat having a compressor driven fridge
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any type of fridge not maintaining correct temps should be repaired or replaced.

Adding circulation fan in an absorption fridge is always good idea due to lack of air movement.

Funny how absorption cooling has been around since 1858....simple thermodynamics
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jrnymn7
Explorer
Explorer
My Kenmore had little ducts that forced cold air across the door shelves... which was quite effective, from what I could tell. Maybe I should consider a fridge fan for my lp fridge, after all. hmmm, there goes another 8-12Ah's a day.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
My big honkin' household refrigerator does the same thing- stuff in the doors is warmer.
-- Chris Bryant