cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Releasing Foot Brake after Slides are out?

precioustime
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it ok to release the foot brake after my 2 slides are out and the levelers are down? Being in a site for 2-3 weeks with the foot brake on doesnโ€™t make sense. If released will the levelers retract?
13 REPLIES 13

MrWizard
dougrainer wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
If i release my parking brake, my levelers will retract,
Why would you want to release the parking brake , on a vehicle so large, with slides extended out like sails, you could end up rolling thru the campground, most likely into another camper

Powergear system and some LCI will release when the parking Brake is released, BUT, the key has to be turned on. If camped and the Ignition OFF, and you release, the jacks should not retract. If they do, the wiring is not to spec. Doug

Doug
You are correct and I failed to mention the key being on !

I was thinking of when he got in the
Drivers seat preparing to leave, turn on the key to power up the slides and because the parking brake has already been released the jacks retract, but the slides are out, he would no longer be level, and any good wind would be putting additional strain on the transmission parking paw ,
This is not a situation I would trust, This could damage the transmission if the MH moved,
Even more dangerous if the MH has kick down jacks, which have been know to give way and flip up, if the RV rolls forward, it's a feature which prevents damage to the jacks, if the RV is driven forward while the jacks are down
How ever it might be described, I think releasing the parking brake , while using leveling jacks and slides ,
Is Bad Idea
There is nothing in the chassis literature that says do Not use parking brake for ???? Or longer tHan xxx

PARKED STORED NOT BEING MOVED parking brake should be engaged
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

I have never done this but I have a Monaco DP and on several occasions the parking brake did not release. It was determined to be because it had metallic brake shoes that had โ€œfrozeโ€ to the drums. Easily released by hitting the throttle in reverse. But I still leave it applied when parked.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
azdryheat wrote:
I hope you're not talking about a MH with an air brake system. Anyway, I'd keep the parking brake set. If you were to release the brake there is the possibility your MH could move slightly and maybe damage your levelers. BTW, most levelers will retract when you start the motor and put the tranny in drive. I had to do that on a brand new Allegro Bus, at work, because I didn't have a clue where the level control panel was (it's now on the glass digital display panel).

So there's some replies on leaving the brake set, now I'd like to hear your reason for not wanting it set.

If Diesel with Air brake, it will not release when the jacks are extended. When you do a correct level with a Diesel, you dump the air Bags and then level. Once the Jacks hit the ground and raise the RV, the remaining air in the Air tanks will bleed out from the ride height arms and you have insufficient air to release the Parking Brake. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
MrWizard wrote:
Why would you want to release the parking brake , on a vehicle so large, with slides extended out like sails, you could end up rolling thru the campground, most likely into another camper

Powergear system and some LCI will release when the parking Brake is released, BUT, the key has to be turned on. If camped and the Ignition OFF, and you release, the jacks should not retract. If they do, the wiring is not to spec. Doug

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Most parking brakes lock the 2 rear wheels. We had a mh on a Ford chassis that the parking brake was on the rear of the transmission.

MrWizard
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
It is called a parking brake, which indicates it is to be used when the vehicle is parked.......
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure why youโ€™re concerned, but on my gasser, once things are setup I can release the brake. It seems like a less than good idea though.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
precioustime wrote:
Is it ok to release the foot brake after my 2 slides are out and the levelers are down? Being in a site for 2-3 weeks with the foot brake on doesnโ€™t make sense. If released will the levelers retract?

we've had the emergency/parking/foot brake engaged for months at time with no ill effects. and releasing that brake will cause our jacks to retract.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh...I want as many wheels locked up as I can get when parked.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
precioustime wrote:
Assuming you're referring to the parking brake then it doesn't make any sense to release it until you're ready to drive away since it's a safety factor.

Releasing the parking brake could immediately (or later say with wind) cause the vehicle to roll. Levelers are designed for up/down weight and not for horizonal motion.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you're not talking about a MH with an air brake system. Anyway, I'd keep the parking brake set. If you were to release the brake there is the possibility your MH could move slightly and maybe damage your levelers. BTW, most levelers will retract when you start the motor and put the tranny in drive. I had to do that on a brand new Allegro Bus, at work, because I didn't have a clue where the level control panel was (it's now on the glass digital display panel).

So there's some replies on leaving the brake set, now I'd like to hear your reason for not wanting it set.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I would think that it would depend on how the RV manufacturer installed the leveling system. We don't have anymore information on your RV that could help us.
I'm not sure why you would want to release the foot brake, assuming it is your Parking brake. Mine is used all the time, whenever I'm parked. It's been on since November now. No issues at all since we bought it in 2007. I use the parking brake on all my vehicles all the time and never had problems. It's actually saved me from an embarrassing situation/possible accident in my car when the transmission didn't properly go into park, found in reverse next day.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.