Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Removing carbon from heads and pistons.

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Surely this is RV related since it is cutting into my recreational time. :h

My 2 cyl opposed Briggs in the lawn tractor has progressively gotten noisier. It was knocking sort of like the same music carbon buildup makes when there is no more room for carbon. Sure enough I can see where the pistons were banging on the carbon buildup on the heads.

so Is there a nice and easy way to get that stuff off of the aluminum heads and piston top. I really do not want to gouge around on the aluminum.
27 REPLIES 27

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
I'd tune the carb so you have the right fuel /air ratio, so you don't get carbon buildup in the first place... a sign of a carb set too rich.

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
3x on Seafoam but there are newer options but may not be better.

badboy368
Explorer
Explorer
a heavy dose of seafoam does wonders
40' pusher,350 turbo cat, pullin a 37' trailer haulin a drag car. oh yea baby

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I used to rev up the motor to keep it from stalling and put small amounts of water down the carb. you should see a lot of steam coming out of the exhaust but that is OK. just don't pour all the water at once. it will clean out the pistons pretty good.

wirenutz
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on the sea foam
2007 All American Sport Toy Hauler 38 foot, 14,400 LBS dry weight
1999 Four Door Freightliner,new 6 Speed Auto, new Cat Motor, 12,600 LBS, rear air dump, lowers rear by 3", air activated rear locker, air ride seats, air ride cab, air ride suspension

msgross
Explorer
Explorer
sea foam is great stuff... unless the build up is that far along... not sure if it would loosen (or if you'd want it to loosen on a running engine).

MrWizard
My advise
Both intake and exhaust closed
Remove spark plug
fill chamber with liquid sea foam from can
Let set 48 hours
Add Sea foam to gas in tank
check for sea foam in cylinder first, then start and run engine until exhaust is clean
Change oil
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Mist a gallon of warmed distilled H20 into the intake with a finger on the throttle to keep engine from stalling.

Did you ever see the cylinder on an engine whose head gasket leaked coolant into the cylinder? Not a speck of carbon to be found.

Google 'water decarbonization.' No need to bust out tools or wire wheels or oven cleaner.

Or you can run some techron or Gumout Regane, or some Redline Sl-1 or some berrymans b-12, or Similar PEA based fuel system cleaner through some fuel for a slower clean.

riggsp
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the heads off (sounds like you do), spray them with Easy-Off Oven Cleaner, let them set for several hours, respray if necessary (you'll be able to tell if the carbon is coming loose), hose it off with water and blow it dry with an air compressor...make sure you wear safety glasses and rubber gloves.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
A small amount of water injection will do it while running under load.
Otherwise scrape or wire wheel away.
It is not as critical as you might think as long as you are reasonably careful.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Manufacturers usually recommended a wood device so as not to gouge. I always used a wire wheel on the heads. I would just scrape the piston so you dont get a piece of wire brush in the gap at the piston to the cylinder. Its best to run full throttle when mowing.

Ray___June
Explorer
Explorer
Wire wheel on a bench grinder, or a drill motor with a wire brush that fits the chuck. Please wear goggles.
Sold the house, retired, and full timing. 15 years of dreams come true!

2015 Itasca 33C, Black Garnet
2013 Honda CRV EXL toad
Roadmaster Sterling all terrain tow bar
Roadmaster Tow Shield
Roadmaster Guardian
SMI "Stay-in-Play" Brake system
ISL "Toad Charge"

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
No easy way I know of, though others might.

Only effective way I know of is the old hammer and chisel. And yes, takes a great deal of care not to gouge around on the aluminum. Good luck.