cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Removing Kwikee step motor....

RV-1_2n-FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Steps not working with power to motor...

I removed the motor/actuator assembly from the steps so I could work on it upright instead of upside down. VERTIGO, so even removing the assembly got me ill. I did this years ago on another MH to replace the bad motor but don't remember if there were any precautions to be taken after removing the 3 bolts securing the motor and before separating it.

Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Click here for an old thread that contains some parts info that may be of benefit to you.

Hope this helps.

RV-1_2n-FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Job accomplished as far as disassembly.

THANKS!!!!!

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^POWER OFF^^^ is the biggie. If that motor isn't actually dead, it can generate enough force to really hurt you.

If Motor is running and the Gear isn't turning, there's a kit you can get to replace damaged parts in the gearbox.

If Motor is NOT running a certain Ford Window Lift Motor is available at much less money than from Kwikee. The info's out here someplace, or a patient parts person could match it up for you.

Couple tips:

1. To TEST the motor, you apply 12VDC and Ground to the motor terminals. By that I mean the motor shell does NOT have to be grounded. The polarity you apply to the two terminals that the harness connects to is what determines Step In or Step Out.

2. In the Fords, the motors come in Left and Right, so you can check motors for both Driver and Passenger sides to look for your fit.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

MrWizard
Step out..power disconnected
Remove large pin at step hinge
Then remove screws holding /gear box assembly
Should not be anything that will fall out from above
No other precautions needed
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s