cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replace AC DC Converter w/panel

Govcat
Explorer
Explorer
As a Newbie to this forum forgive me if I'm in the wrong place. I have a question if someone can help me out. I think I need to replace my Ac Dc Converter - Its an Atwood Fortron TP3 4530ss it doesn't appear to be putting out DC to charge or run anything. They don't seem to be making this anymore and it has been a bit anemic in keeping the battery charged when it did work. I run off the battery just fine on the 12V DC side and 120V on the AC side. I've been using a battery charge/maintainer to get by at the moment. The converter is integrated into the Breaker/fuse Panel. I was wondering if I could keep the Breaker panel and remove the converter from the panel. Then replace the converter with maybe another brand in a 3 stage model or something better and keep the Atwood panel. Also could I upgrade it to 55 Amps from the current 45Amps. My guess is that it should be ok but I wonder if anyone has done this or any suggestions on a solution that wouldn't break the bank here. Much appreciate any input. Thanks
Govcat:h
12 REPLIES 12

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
You should be able to catch those electrons with a magnet then pour them into the battery.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Tip: Take lots of digital images as you disassemble. 3M color tape works great too. 45 amps charge rate may mean improving (increasing) the gauge of the battery wire feed terminals. And an increase in the capacity of the fuse/breaker at the battery.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Oh you don't even need space near the panel.

You can put the new converter in the compartment near the batteries, IN fact that's a great place for it.

Like this?

Mounted to the ceiling in the pass-through, 3' to the batteries.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Govcat
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks All- I finally got Randy at bestconverter - he talked me into a Powermax Boondocker 4 stage unit- forgot to ask what the 4th stage was. I mentioned the Progressive Dynamics which he said was a good unit but the PowerMax Was on sale $159, has a 3yr warrantee, he never had a return on one,its made by Fortron the maker of the panel and should hook right up. Hope he's right. Should get here in about 4 days. So thanks for the help guys-great forum.

Oh, and I'll keep an eye on my electrons and maybe lock the beer up to keep them in line. ๐Ÿ™‚

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oh you don't even need space near the panel.

You can put the new converter in the compartment near the batteres, IN fact that's a great place for it.

Or anywhere you can access the primary 12 volt wire between batteries and panel.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
And another answer is,..........
If you have space available near the electrical panel, leave the old converter where it is, just install a new stand alone converter like the PD 9245 or 92 60.It will be cheaper than the changeout model, and not hard to connect a pos & neg cable, and plug it into AC wall plug. And ebay will have anything you need much cheaper.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
When removing my old converter the board was screwed to the metal box. Once the wires were disconnected and the screws removed the converter comes out leaving the 12v fuse panel. Yours may be riveted but should still be separate from the DC distribution panel.

I just replaced my converter with a Progressive Dynamics 9260. After pulling the old converter I discovered a brace along the outside wall that prevented mounting the new one in that spot. I ended up turning my entire box, AC breakers and all, upside down and doing some metal clearance to mount the new converter on a higher plane than the brace. I did remove the 12v panel and install it back in a upright position. I couldn't read the circuit identifiers standing on my head.

It works great, love the PD9260, but the AC electrons keep falling on the floor and rolling around. I know it's the AC electrons because they keep rolling back and forth instead of in a straight line.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Question: Can I remove the converter from the breaker panel, keep the breaker/fuse panel and just replace the converter portion:

Short answer: YES

long answer: http://www.bestconverter.com scroll down to the additional info frame and look at the instructions for upgrading say a Magnetek 6300 to a PDI 9200.. That will be downright close give or take a wire.

On edit: I never get that URL right the first time.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Govcat
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks -I e-mailed Randy at Bestconverter.com 3 times over the last 2 weeks and haven't received a response. Weird but I've been in the mountains and I haven't had cell service so haven't been able to call so I'm kind of stuck with email at the moment.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
+1 for bestconverter.com

I recommend Progressive Dynamics, IOTA and Powermax.
Stay away from WFCO and Parallax.

45amps is plenty unless you have more than two batteries to charge quickly on generator power. The multistage charging will make a HUGE improvement.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.bestconverter.com/ This is good place and has good info. Click

Give them a call..they can help you out.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Moved from Forum Technical Support