cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing 50A Electric Cord

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone replaced the electric cord on their MH, the one you hook up to shore power? Is the cord specific to the MH, or will a generic cord work too? Can it be done easily, or is it something you'd have a service tech do?
22 REPLIES 22

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
S O cord is what you want.

Why?

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to check out boat cords. They are much lighter and more flexible.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
From what I have seen in many years of RVing there are basically, depending on how you count 3 or 4 different cords

30 amp direct connect (Common on trailers)
30 amp disconnectable.. These use a twist lock connector we usually call a marinco, though other companies make identical or nearly so (Compatable) inlets and outlets (The outlet is the cord end)
30 amp detachable cords for 50 amp rigs (Rare. I have one)
50 amp detachable They use a different twist lock (3 blades)
NOTE the 3 blades are 4 wires (the forth is around the edge of the connector)

Some use a 50 amp reel cord (Attached) but if the cord is detachable.. Than any 50 amp shore cord you get should work fine.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
S O cord is what you want.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Roll your own is just fine. You may wish to use wire that is UV protected and flexible at low temperatures.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on the configuration of your shore power cord.

The male end is standard.

The coach end is where there are differences. Some are hardwired in, some use a receptacle-- there are several different ones.

Tell us what the coach end of your cord looks like.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I replaced the 30 amp cord. No big deal, just follow the end of the cord as it goes into the RV and find where it is spliced into the RV electrical. Remove the old cord and splice in a new one. The cords are generic. I had to remove a tail light to get enough room to work in. Just make sure to match the colors.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Is your cord detachable at the rig?
Fairly easy job in most cases. Some times you can get a 35 foot extension cord, remove the coach end for less dollars then buying parts.
It is hard to find good cable that is flexible. Most cable is 6/4 cable. Many RVs use 6/3 plus # 8 ground to reduce size and weight.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker