cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing Magnetek 6332 "Q" convertor - Any suggestions ?

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
It's still functioning, but ???

I understand these were very common installs by manufactures at the time the TT was built, (I purchased it used a couple of years ago).
I have also learned that it is pretty much useless for charging the coach batteries & since the TT is now 14 years old, it may be time to consider a new one. Currently, I am using my generator & a schumacher smart charger to do the job when dry camping. I would rather connect the genny to shore power hookup & do it that way.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74
15 REPLIES 15

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Wayne Dohnal wrote:
From what I've seen and read, WFCO converters fail mainly because two power resistors soldered to the main board get too hot, resulting in either a fracture of the solder joint or slow changing of the board substrate into a carbon-like conductor. This is independent of the "won't go into boost mode" issue, and independent of market penetration.

Would this be a fix as simple as replacing a 1/2 watt resistor with a 2 watt resistor?
I wonder if it would be worth the effort as a maintenance item as soon as the warranty is out.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
I went with a PD4655 and it's a good USA built converter. If you boondock a lot and want fast battery charging that's another issue. For normal rv use you will be happy with a PD. It has a manual boost function for quicker charging. The upgrade kit had a new fuse panel too with blown fuse indicators.

DONT buy WFCO imo

Did your PD4655 have a "built in" Charge Wizard ??
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

Wayne_Dohnal
Explorer
Explorer
From what I've seen and read, WFCO converters fail mainly because two power resistors soldered to the main board get too hot, resulting in either a fracture of the solder joint or slow changing of the board substrate into a carbon-like conductor. This is independent of the "won't go into boost mode" issue, and independent of market penetration.
2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Actually the WFCO works quite well once it is sized and wired correctly.
Most RVs with WFCO have the 55a that is too large, #6 wire that is too small and too long and just a single battery. For these the smaller 35 amp would probably work just fine but for $5 more the OEM can brag about the big "55 amp" converter.

I have a 35 amp WFCO in my trailer and while it is about never used it worked just fine when tested.

Yes a lot fail because WFCO had maybe half the OEM market for a while.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
WFCO kit to avoid

I think that's what I had. By the time I sent it back all I kept muttering was s- - - w World Friendship, I WANNA CHARGE SOME BAT TREES!!!

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
What's an ultra kit? I bought this and I think they call it an upgrade.

http://www.bestconverter.com/4600-series-Upgrade-Kits_c_133.html

I also looked at PM and PM chargers. They seem to have a good reputation.

It's been a while now so it's foggy and I'm glad to be past the converter stage of trying to be my own power company. ๐Ÿ™‚

the wfco that I had for a couple minutes would never go past 13.6 v, the 30 amp reverse polarity fuses were so loose that it would quit charging until I reached in and held pressure on them. While trying to trouble shoot it I felt for other loose items and was shocked on the exposed terminals of the 120 power cord.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Note that the Ultra kit is a WFCO ๐Ÿ˜ž

All these PD fans! What can you say? I like PowerMax, but never mind me! ๐Ÿ™‚
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I went with a PD4655 and it's a good USA built converter. If you boondock a lot and want fast battery charging that's another issue. For normal rv use you will be happy with a PD. It has a manual boost function for quicker charging. The upgrade kit had a new fuse panel too with blown fuse indicators.

DONT buy WFCO imo

bob_b1
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I would go with the progressive Dynamics 4600 series, this is an "Upgrade" kit designed to replace the electronics in your existing converter.

Thus it's less expensive than replacing the entire power center.

If you wish... they sell those too. You already have the link to the store in the last post.

NOTE: When I got my rig in 2005 I did some heavy duty research into converters.. I could not believe they put the best in my rig.. but they did.

The "Best" actually is a fairly large selection of converters but the Progressive Dynamics units with the WIZARD (Either built in or plugged in) are very clearly on the list of "BEST" they are 3-stage plus one additional feature.. And US assembled. Good company rep as well.

X2!

I replaced my Magnetek with a Progressive Dynamics PD9160 and it worked great. Had the 4600-series been available, I wouldn't had to modify the old Magnetek case to take the PD9160. The 4600-series will save you all the trouble. The Progressive Dynamic units are much better converters.
'93 Itasca Suncrusier diesel towing a '05 Honda CR-V.
Bob, Pam(DW), Bridget(DD) and Christine(DD)
See you at most of the Penn State tailgates:)

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Something like a pd9245 will work fine ... you can cut the wires to the old converter, leave the DC distribution panel in place, and wire the new converter to the DC distribution panel. Easy DIY - lots of "how to" articles using Google.
Kevin

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
All I did was add a PD9260C 60AMP SMART MODE 'STAND ALONE' Converter close to my 340AH Capacity battery bank.

If you are happy with your Magnetek Power Distribution Panel with the 120VAC Circuit Breakers and 12VDC fuses then this is the best solution as stated above you do not have to rewire (reconnect) all the 120VAC and 12VDC circuits.

The PD9260C was an easy install for us as all I had to do was add a separate 120VAC circuit drop just for the PD9260C Converter/Charger unit. It just plugs into the 120VAC Receptacle. Then I run the DC OUTPUT cables to fed both the 12VDC side of the Power Distribution Panel and the Battery Main switch I have connected to the battery terminals.

My original install actually was using the WFCO 8900 series Power Distribution Panel with a WF8945 Converter/charger module located in the bottom compartment. My problem like most other WFCO products owners was it would never go into BOOST CHARGE MODE. I actually just flipped OFF the 120VAC breaker for the WF8945 Converter unit and left it installed. This is a now a working back-up unit for me if needed. When camping off the power grid I like to re-charge my batteries in a quick three hour generator run time so using the PD9260C works out fine for me when having my 30AMP SHORE POWER cable connected directly to my 2kw Honda Generator.

My wiring looks like this with the PD9260C added.

Food for thought
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would go with the progressive Dynamics 4600 series, this is an "Upgrade" kit designed to replace the electronics in your existing converter.

Thus it's less expensive than replacing the entire power center.

If you wish... they sell those too. You already have the link to the store in the last post.

NOTE: When I got my rig in 2005 I did some heavy duty research into converters.. I could not believe they put the best in my rig.. but they did.

The "Best" actually is a fairly large selection of converters but the Progressive Dynamics units with the WIZARD (Either built in or plugged in) are very clearly on the list of "BEST" they are 3-stage plus one additional feature.. And US assembled. Good company rep as well.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times