Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Restrung a Day/night Shade

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
4 Kuddos to this company...Unitedshade :B

FYI....
Just out of warranty one of the cords broke on the big rear window (4 cord) shade. Thought I'd have to hassle with the dealer & try to find info bout who makes the shade and how to get new cord, but low & behold, after I took it off the wall it had the name of the manufacturer on it so I googled em and got a phone #. Called em and told them what color & cord size and they had new cord in the mail & it arrived within 2 days. They were extremely helpful. Had to buy 50ft but it only cost me $7.50 + shipping. DW & I had the shade restrung and hanging back up in about an hour. It even hangs straight and actually works like it is suppose to. Beats having to spend hundreds of bucks for a new shade + we now have extra cord just in case others break.
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰
7 REPLIES 7

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Keep this for next time

Fix My Blinds
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:
When taking them off you don't have to take valence down.
There is a bracket in the middle that you have to tip up the top of the shade to get it released from the bottom of that middle bracket that's holding it in.

It's a knuckle burner the first time till you see how it works.

String kits are finally now in all camping stores and dealership parts stores. Comes with different colored string and a set of mounting screws.

The mounting screws are actually the culprit for loose or too tight strings which ultimately result in breaking the string.

Fact is:

The valance did stay screwed to the wall.

There were 3 screws holding the shade to the underside of the valance. Very easy to unscrew & put back up.

Finding the cord was the most difficult part. CW & the 3 or 4 fabric shops, Home Depot & Lowes I visited had nothing close to what color cord I needed & damned if I was going to use a white cord in a beige corded shade. So hence a call to the manufacturer to get the right cord.
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
When taking them off you don't have to take valence down.
There is a bracket in the middle that you have to tip up the top of the shade to get it released from the bottom of that middle bracket that's holding it in.

It's a knuckle burner the first time till you see how it works.

String kits are finally now in all camping stores and dealership parts stores. Comes with different colored string and a set of mounting screws.

The mounting screws are actually the culprit for loose or too tight strings which ultimately result in breaking the string.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Our day/night shades are restrung so tight you can play music off the strings! A real PITA to get up/down, need both hands.
I'll have to re-adjust the tension so they move easy. Great Job!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
We also found that after the 1st one the rest are fairly easy to do. It's getting them off the wall that takes patience. Also working as a team helps a lot ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ We've done three now and our dealer would like to hire us to do them for others.....naw, it ain't going to happen..
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
There's lots of supplies for these shades out there, the biggest problem is people freaking out thinking they can't do the job. But you're now past that.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I just did one (4 string) and it took us an hrs and a half but I had to take the valence down to get at it and it was behind the couch.