cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reverse Polarity code When Plugging in at Home

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
In the past I have plugged my RV in directly to my 30 receptacle in the garage, without any issues. Today a friend who is visiting plugged into my 30 amp plug, but placed a surge protector in the middle of the power cords and got a Reverse Polarity error code. Why is this happening?
Lakejumper

2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
2012 Chevy Equinox
23 REPLIES 23

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
A volt meter stuck in the long spot and the round hold should be zero.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Bobbo wrote:
wildtoad wrote:
Call an electrician and have them check the wiring.

This can be done before calling an electrician.

Go to a big box hardware store and buy a no-contact voltage tester. They are not expensive. That will tell you exactly which slot on your 30 amp outlet is hot. You can then tell if the outlet is wired backwards. With the round slot at the top, the hot slot should be lower left.

This is the best answer. And that tester is handy to have around any way. Here is how it should be wired.

http://www.myrv.us/electric/

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Bpbbo, If you hare some elcheapo HF volt ohm meters laying around already, won't they suffice for the testing?

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad wrote:

This can be done before calling an electrician.

Go to a big box hardware store and buy a no-contact voltage tester. They are not expensive. That will tell you exactly which slot on your 30 amp outlet is hot. You can then tell if the outlet is wired backwards. With the round slot at the top, the hot slot should be lower left.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agreed, if OP was not using a polarity checker the garage outlet has likely been wrong from the get go and he never knew it.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
TenOC wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Whomever wired his EMS did it bass-ackwards. Anything reconnectable on the incoming shore power from plug to his breaker panel is reconnectable. But it is commonly it's in the umbilical cord.

Or maybe the 30 receptacle in the garage is wired wrong and it always had a problem but was never checked.

This is what I'd check first. Getting the Hot and Neutral swapped when wiring the plug is very easy to do. In the old days before the 3rd wire ground was introduced it usually didn't matter how you wired the plugs. But with the 3rd wire ground and with a lot of the newer electronics it does matter and can make a difference (it actually makes a difference on 2-wire connections too which is why most plugs can only plug in one way with the larger blade on one side of the plug). I always use a tester on any new circuit or plug I install just to make sure I did it right.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Whomever wired his EMS did it bass-ackwards. Anything reconnectable on the incoming shore power from plug to his breaker panel is reconnectable. But it is commonly it's in the umbilical cord.

Or maybe the 30 receptacle in the garage is wired wrong and it always had a problem but was never checked.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer