cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Round configured LED lights OK for light fixtures outside

j37642
Explorer
Explorer
I added surface mounted flat wafer type LEd lights in the outside lights on another camper and they worked great but they had been treated with conformal spray to protect them in high moisture conditions. I now need to add lights on another camper and have purchased the round type with LEDs mouted around the cylinder shaped mount. The conformal spray I have will not reach inside the lights to treat the circuit board. The light fixtures I am putting them in is a high moisture environment inside during rain or when washing the RV. I am wondering if anyone has used this type of light in an outside fixture without treating with conformal spray and what was the outcome or maybe someone figured out a way to treat them safely? This is the model I got. Note the light output is 480 lumen. Thanks in advance for any help or information you can pass on.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EYTPSCS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
Jerry 35J Bounder Diesel motorhome
2005 Lance 1181 Max with all options
2003 Dodge Laramie 3500 CTD HO DRW, Air bags, SprSprngs, Rancho R9000X, XM Radio, Garmin GPS, Hellwig sway bar, Centramatics
..RVing since 1966
4 REPLIES 4

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
unless your fixture fills with water (like on a boat trailer), that bulb should be fine.

eventually moisture and 12-volts might eat through the resist and corrode traces to the point the bulb stops working, but that'll take years and years and years.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

j37642
Explorer
Explorer
I installed one of those round LED bulbs in my outside light four years ago.
Still working fine.

Does your light fixture get water beads in it during or after a rain? Mine does and that is the reason for my concern. I think some fixtures are moisture proof but mine sure are not.
Jerry 35J Bounder Diesel motorhome
2005 Lance 1181 Max with all options
2003 Dodge Laramie 3500 CTD HO DRW, Air bags, SprSprngs, Rancho R9000X, XM Radio, Garmin GPS, Hellwig sway bar, Centramatics
..RVing since 1966

islandvagabonds
Explorer
Explorer
I installed one of those round LED bulbs in my outside light four years ago.
Still working fine.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I have never used this particular light but I have used others of this type. I would not use them where they would get wet. Maybe they would be just fine but I wouldn't trust them.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory