cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running Honda EU generators re-jetted at high altitudes.

RFV
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,

Can those who have had experience running Honda EU generators re-jetted at high altitude post your stories? How did they run? Did they run as expected or as what you thought you would get out of them? I'll be camping at almost 10,000 feet in a few months and will re-jet my EU2000i but wanted to ask what other Honda EU generator owners that have re-jetted their generators thought of high altitude experience.

Thanks!

Rudy
18 REPLIES 18

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I was forced to screw around with prime movers including gasoline for many years in the high sierra. Even at 11,200 feet I failed to notice a significant improvement in power by rejetting and at the time I had an assortment of .045" jets and a number drill set. I tried decreasing orifice size until the engines quit running.

Perhaps for long service times, Robert at Honda's advice is sound. Reduce combustion chamber deposits, plug fouling and oil dilution.

But to gain power - I remain thoroughly unimpressed.

SPARK TIMING on the other hand is another subject entirely. Some engines like Wisconsin and 4-cyl Onan's, saw readjustment of initial spark timing eight to ten degrees BTDC.

Your mileage may vary...

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Niner,

When drycamping ... the Onan is for air conditioning anywhere anytime, a microwave oven anywhere anytime, electric heating, cooking, and refrigeration anywhere anytime should the propane system ever run low on propane or otherwise fail, and to run the 120V AC compressor to pump up a tire or a balloon. The last time I checked, I noticed that life is unpredictable.

The little Honda is for everything else ... if it'll run at 9,600 feet with the jets that came in it. :B :

By the way and for what it's worth, I bought my first and only scrambler motorcycle brand new in Utah and rode it at their altitudes for four years - including high up on ski trails in the summer. It was a great bike and ran great as delivered by the dealer. I brought it back to Central California and did not change it's jets. As a result, I burnt a hole in one of it's pistons and gave it away with parts of it in a box. From that experience, I learned a valuable negative lesson about running lean (this applies to internal combustion engines, not my body weight). ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
I wonder how Onan is making it so convenient on their built-in RV generators: I just turn a knob on the generator to the various altitudes we might be camping at. The knob is marked in feet. This sure is an easy way to do it.

Wait, I thought all you ran was solar panels and your Honda EX650 that is so heavy, quiet, and self contained, that was gifted to you?

Do you rejet your EX650?

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder how Onan is making it so convenient on their built-in RV generators: I just turn a knob on the generator to the various altitudes we might be camping at. The knob is marked in feet. This sure is an easy way to do it.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
The thing I have noticed with genneys at high altitude is usually you do not need the AC and for me that's the big draw. So if I can charge batteries and run the micro now and then, I am good. My eu3000 has worked fine at higher altitudes. Or should I say good enough for me.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

RFV
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all of you! Your replies were exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much for your input.

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
Chingo your WRONG you can BUY the jets for YAMAHA 2400. Bought them in Alamosa Col and Monroe,La for my 2400
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
robert_at_honda wrote:
A little off-topic, but maybe some of the aviation-types/pilots out there can describe how the mixture control works on small aircraft with carburetor-style engines? I'm guessing it allows for manual control of the amount of fuel flow to best match the altitude?

- - -
I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Robert@Honda

In a nutshell, yep. However, you want to really stir up a hornet's nest, argue running LOP (Lean of Peak) or ROP (Rich of Peak). ๐Ÿ™‚

Assuming small 4-6 seater general aviation - Most A/C Pilots Operating Manual (POH) or equivalent or Lycoming/Continental engine manuals advocate 50-100ยฐ Rich of Peak - lean to find best power or max Exhaust Gas Temperator (EGT) and then richen 50-100ยฐ

With good individual Cylinder Temperature Probes and engine analyzers, there's a school of thought that one can run the engines Lean of Peak for better efficiency, at the risk of burning up pistons and/or valves from running too lean.

1950s technology still going strong.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

robert_at_honda
Explorer
Explorer
Changing the jet size as you go up in elevation helps to maintain the correct fuel/air ratio, so the engine does not run too rich. With the rise in elevation comes less dense air (less combustible oxygen) being drawn into the engine. Without a jet change, the engine would flow too much fuel and possibly foul a spark plug or have other running problems.

Modern fuel-injection systems use an oxygen sensor to provide feedback to a computer that can adjust the amount of fuel on the fly, and maintain the proper fuel/air ratio.

There will still be power loss on pretty much any engine with an increase in altitude, but by adjusting the fuel flow, the engine can at least operate with the proper fuel/air ratio.

A little off-topic, but maybe some of the aviation-types/pilots out there can describe how the mixture control works on small aircraft with carburetor-style engines? I'm guessing it allows for manual control of the amount of fuel flow to best match the altitude?

- - -
Robert@Honda

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
srt20 wrote:
I don't have a horse in this race, I don't own either, but my snowmobile partner has a Yamaha gen 2k or whatever it is. We have used it in January at 10,400 ft in the Snowy Mtns with no issues at all. We use it to power his trailer as a mobile work shop for when we break stuff. His 42k RV furnace also works great at this exact altitude. I forget what brand furnace it is.

Whether it "worked" or not isn't really the issue ... any gas engine with a carb is going to run rich, consume more gas, and run less efficiently at higher elevations if it hasn't been rejetted regardless of what label may be on the genset. That chart post by Robert is telling. :E
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

robert_at_honda
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the typical power loss due to elevation, even with jet changes. Chart from American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

- - -
Robert@Honda

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a horse in this race, I don't own either, but my snowmobile partner has a Yamaha gen 2k or whatever it is. We have used it in January at 10,400 ft in the Snowy Mtns with no issues at all. We use it to power his trailer as a mobile work shop for when we break stuff. His 42k RV furnace also works great at this exact altitude. I forget what brand furnace it is.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Chinolbz wrote:
Yamaha does not offer high-altitude jets. I called the Tech # and the guy said it didn't matter, all air is the same!

Wow! :S

I bought Hondas.

Smart move! ๐Ÿ˜‰

FWIW here's the info I have for 3 different jet sizes for the Honda EU2000i ...

- Sea Level to 4,500' is a jet size 62(Honda #99101-ZG0-0620)
- 4,500'-7,500' is a jet size 60(Honda# 99101-ZG0-0600)
- 7,500' and up is a jet size 58(Honda #99101-ZG0-0580)

Also FWIW here's a link I came across several years ago to a great resource for Honda EU2000i replacement parts.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Chinolbz
Explorer
Explorer
I re-jet every time we go up in altitude. Gens run like they should at sea-level. I have the two high altitude jets. 5000-7500, and 7500 to 10,000 I think. Swap takes about ten minutes when you get used to doing it. I put a tag on the handle to remind me what jet I have and to NOT run it a sea-level with high jets. Yamaha does not offer high-altitude jets. I called the Tech # and the guy said it didn't matter, all air is the same! I bought Hondas. Chino