cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running two 2000 watt generators in eco mode with AC on

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
Curious if this is possible or anyone has done this. Currently I can run my Coleman mach air conditioning unit in my truck camper off just one yamaha 2000 watt generator but it's not happy about it and from the sound I can tell it's maxed out. I am wondering if I were to run two 2000 watt generators in parallel could I do it with the eco throttle on? It seems like this would be possible since both generators are putting out 26 amps and given the fact I am able to start it and run the ac with just one.
37 REPLIES 37

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
DieselBurps wrote:
Back to my genny issues. I have no doubt I can run my 11000 BTU ac with something like the micro air easy start, the problem I have with it, is the genny is still going to be close to maxed out RPM and noise wise with the AC on.

I wouldn't be so sure, my own EU2000i would easily run the 13,500 BTU Coleman Mach 3+ A/C on our previous KZ Spree in Eco mode ... here's a video as proof. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

dfb
Explorer
Explorer
DieselBurps wrote:
Back to my genny issues. I have no doubt I can run my 11000 BTU ac with something like the micro air easy start, the problem I have with it, is the genny is still going to be close to maxed out RPM and noise wise with the AC on.

To my ears, the 2000 watt Hondas seem quieter than my 2000 Yamaha, it's more of a lower sound.
yes.... that genny runs at 1600 .....it will rev up.... you can try one and see..

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer

To my ears, the 2000 watt Hondas seem quieter than my 2000 Yamaha, it's more of a lower sound.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rockwind1 wrote:
i run my 13,500 btu dometic on two hondas in parallel, no eco for starting. but i am interested in that soft start kit but **** it's expensive. anyone had any experience with them. is it made in usa?

RSD559 wrote:
The one in the ads is. You can get a generic kit for $30 or $40 online. Here's an example. This one is for Dometic units.
Dometic Hard Start Kit
You basically have to pull the cover off the AC unit and follow the directions on where to plug the leads in.
e

Two entirely different animals. Expensive? ... sell one of the Hondas, use part of the proceeds to pay for an Easy Start which is not the same as that Dometic hard start kit, pocket the difference, and enjoy the simplicity of powering your A/C with just one 2K genset. I don't see where the debate is but if you want testimonials just search this site for Easy Start. In the meantime here's an interesting Micro-Air Easy Start YouTube Video on how to install one of these units. ๐Ÿ™‚

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Reading some of the above comments, I'm wondering if some aren't confusing "running in Eco mode" with "running at low RPM's"?

Aren't a couple of EU2000i generators supplying 1400-1500 watts to a 13.5K A/C (whenever it's compressor is cycled ON) still going to be about half way into each of their RPM ranges? If so, then you're beyond that great 53dB true idling low speed sound that the EU2000i's are famous for.
Correct, but...... If it is hot enough to need the AC, you will be inside. You cannot hear the generators over the sound of the AC.... Not sure just what the decibal reading is, but the AC makes the most noise.

At any rate the Honda's will idle down substantially
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Aren't a couple of EU2000i generators supplying 1400-1500 watts to a 13.5K A/C (whenever its compressor is cycled ON) still going to be about half way into each of their RPM ranges? If so, then you're beyond that great 53dB true idling low speed sound that the EU2000i's are famous for.
Yes, that's about right. No, they are not as quiet as idle, but much quieter than one.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
rockwind1 wrote:
i run my 13,500 btu dometic on two hondas in parallel, no eco for starting. but i am interested in that soft start kit but **** it's expensive. anyone had any experience with them. is it made in usa?

The one in the ads is. You can get a generic kit for $30 or $40 online. Here's an example. This one is for Dometic units.
Dometic Hard Start Kit
You basically have to pull the cover off the AC unit and follow the directions on where to plug the leads in.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reading some of the above comments, I'm wondering if some aren't confusing "running in Eco mode" with "running at low RPM's"?

Aren't a couple of EU2000i generators supplying 1400-1500 watts to a 13.5K A/C (whenever it's compressor is cycled ON) still going to be about half way into each of their RPM ranges? If so, then you're beyond that great 53dB true idling low speed sound that the EU2000i's are famous for.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
My 2 Honda 2ks start and run my Duotherm 13.5 a/c in Eco mode just fine. No hardstart kit.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rstanek
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 15k Colman Mach, I installed a hard start kit, also a delay timer for the fan so they are not starting at the same time, 8 to 10 second delay. I currently run two Honda Handi 3000 in parallel, with 100 ft of 10-3 cord, a extended run fuel tank. I keep it in eco mode all the time, I checked with volt meter on startup, 108 volts for a blink of an eye, then 115, then 117 sustained, it takes just a second or two to achieve 117. No problems......
2007 Eagle 322FKS
2015 Chev Silverado 6.0 4:10

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
I am pretty sure my AC is 11000 BTU. Like I said I can run the AC off just the one Yamaha but it's loud and at its limit, and doesn't do it reliably. This is what has gotten me thinking about running two in parallel.

I would love to try it out first, but I am having a difficult time finding a second yamaha with a parallel cable. If any of you are in the southern Arizona Yuma or even San Diego area I will pay you for your time in cash or beer if you let me try hooking up my yamaha parallel.

Ajones42
Explorer
Explorer
dfb wrote:
DieselBurps wrote:
Curious if this is possible or anyone has done this. Currently I can run my Coleman mach air conditioning unit in my truck camper off just one yamaha 2000 watt generator but it's not happy about it and from the sound I can tell it's maxed out. I am wondering if I were to run two 2000 watt generators in parallel could I do it with the eco throttle on? It seems like this would be possible since both generators are putting out 26 amps and given the fact I am able to start it and run the ac with just one.
yes....since you can run on one, the other will produce enough in eco mode..

Not my experience AT ALL. Eco mode did not work for me, they can't synch and spool up fast enough on compressor start.
Fulltiming in a 2010 Puma 30RKSS
1993 Dolphin 32D -> Destroyed by hail April 2013
Gate Guards in the South Texas Pucker Brush
My Old RV
Oil Field Gate Guard Forum

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
dfb wrote:
Twin hondas have a larger engine than the twin yamahas.

A single EU2000i has a 20% larger engine than an EF2000iS ... so what? - if I understand the OP correctly he's talking about adding a second Yamaha to his existing Yamaha. Sure, he could sell his existing Yamaha and replace it with 2 Honda EU2000i gensets but the cost of doing so would be even more. If it were me I'd stick with his one Yamaha and install a Micro-Air Easy Start Soft Starter kit on his A/C.

dfb
Explorer
Explorer
Twin hondas have a larger engine than the twin yamahas.