cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Schwintek slideout question

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2012 era Schwintek slideouts. One is the small bedroom 22" and one is large living area 40".

When doing just a one night stay, I leave the truck hooked up, but would like to stop doing a lot of the work I currently do. That is:

- According to trailer manufacturer's instructions: setting the front legs down, setting the rear stabilizers down, then open slideouts.
- If it is going to rain, I get the ladder out and put anti-pooling noodles in under the 40" slideout awning.

Here is want I want to start doing:
- leave front legs up
- leave rear stabilizers up.
- open 22" bedroom slideout fully
- open 40" slideout half way just to allow sofa bed to open. Opening half way would not require any use of anti-pooling devices. Opening half way would also perhaps not require trailer stabilization.

The problem is, although I cannot find it in any of my Schwintek manuals or the website, that I seem to recall hearing some folklore about always extending or retracting a Schwintek slide all the way in one button push to avoid alignment problems.

I have never had any problems with my slides, but Schwinteks do seem to have a lot of issues so I wanted to get the opinion of this board concerning the partial extension warning.

thanks very much,
fred
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA
7 REPLIES 7

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Garry&Gayle wrote:
The Schwintek slides on our Mobile Suites will leak if only put out part way, all the way out no issues. What is an anti pooling noodle?
Good catch - I missed that. Never heard of these, but then I don't have slideout awnings so I guess I don't need them.

Oh! I have a guess - he puts pool noodles under the awning so rain doesn't pool (awning too loose I guess).

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. Slides do NOT seal when partially out. That means not just water if it rains but dust and such can easily come in regardless of the wipe seals
2. Schwintek advises against partial extend or retract due to the timing of the 2 motors may get out of time. I do not believe that as I have partially extended or retracted hundreds of Schwintek slides while working on the RV's and never had a problem---see item 3. Also, a Schwintek room when partially out and you are putting weight in the slide box will put extra pressure on the gear sidewall system. The system is designed for that room to be fully extended so the inside flanges are tight against the wall to support the room box. Next time you go 1/2 way out, push on the upper flange on the inside and you will see the room move up and down. NOT good for the Schwintek rack system.
3. Regardless, the CORRECT procedure when operating a Schwintek slide is to HOLD the extend or retract button for 10 to 15 seconds after it fully extends or retracts and THAT gets both motors in time again. ALWAYS do this and your system will operate better.
4. So, if you partially extend in your scenario, just make sure when retracting you hold the retract button for that 10 to 15 seconds.
5. As to leveling jacks and Schwintek systems, I have found that it is BETTER to always extend a Schwintek system BEFORE extending leveling jacks, especially on 5th wheels. ALWAYS retract those leveling jacks before retracting the slide room. Motorhomes rarely have a problem with Schwintek systems, so jacks up or down makes no difference. Towable frames are not as strong as a motorhome frame and the jacks tend to bend the frame at the points where the jacks hit the ground and IF that warp is centered around the Schwintek room, that causes the room to bind just enough to cause extend retract problems. Doug

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
The Schwintek slides on our Mobile Suites will leak if only put out part way, all the way out no issues. What is an anti pooling noodle?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
One other thing: apparently the Schwinteks sense how far to push the slides by sensing the motors being stopped with current still applied. Stopping part way could cause confusion in the controller. I always put the slide out in one stroke and hold the button for a couple of seconds after the slide has stopped moving.

Having said that, on the odd occasion when I didn't go all the way in one push, it didn't cause a problem.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
No slide out is designed to be used partially extended, regardless of actuation type.
-- Chris Bryant

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Longer rigs have more frame flex. Schwinteks seem to be sensitive to that. I've found with my rig that as long as I'm parked on relatively level ground, the slides work just fine.

If I'm overnighting in a WM or some such and the parking lot is not level, I always park with the nose up (our bed is N/S) and if it's really bad, I drop the rear stabilizers and maybe raise the back an inch or two.

If it's really REALLY bad, I'll drop a plank or two to level side to side before opening slides.

Oh yes, don't forget that with a slide part way out, it's not sealed!!

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
If you believe the full out thing then in the morning just send it all the way out then back in....... If it is hydraulic then definitely do this and all will be well
2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal