cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

seafoam

joe0508
Explorer
Explorer
Will seafoam overheat your manifolds if used in the tank?I would like to use it but worried about this and also clogging my filter.I only have about 43000 miles on her but she has set awhile in the past.I have had it for about 3 years and run it maybe 500 miles a year.This past year i havent ran it none.I dont have any fuel problems but think maybe the tank is dirty from setting before i bought it.When i had the fuel filter changed last year with the tuneup they said it was pretty dirty.I do use startron stabilizer often.
joe money
16 REPLIES 16

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
landyacht318 wrote:
PEA based fuel system cleaners like Techron are highly effective, at cleaning intake valves, on Non direct injected engines, and combustion chambers. GM also recommends it for when the fuel tank floats get sticky, so there has to be some pre injector attributes to the product as well, as the recommendation works, and not just on GM's.

I would not use Seafoam as a fuel stabilizer, and I do not believe claims written on labels. It is proven they will put anything on a label until somebody sues them for misrepresentation, and the only ones who profit from that are the lawyers. So there seems to be some collective understanding between competitors to just let sleeping dogs lie and milk the consumer with clever marketing and outlandish claims with no substance to back them up.

In fact with the content of Seafoam being a good percentage alcohol, I will no longer put any into my tankIn fact with the content of Seafoam being a good percentage alcohol, I will no longer put any into my tank, though I have in the past without issue. Running it through the intake did seem to clean up the Idle a bit, but subjective seat of the pants "butt Dyno"s are hardly Scientific, especially with the human mindset of expecting results from effort or money expended.

Of all the Automotive forums I peruse, there are more fanboys of Seafoam here than anywhere else. On Other forums it is almost a despised product, so I find it amusing to come here and see it praised by some as the holy grail to engine maintenance.

I hate it when people who are not qualified start spouting.
I have been an ASE master tech for 1/4 century.....it works.
Now to prove your inaccuracy, the MSDS for seafoam shows 10-20% IPA which btw stands for Isopropyl alcohol. So it is REALLY made up of mostly other stuff. Seafoam MSDS

joe0508
Explorer
Explorer
landyacht318 wrote:
PEA based fuel system cleaners like Techron are highly effective, at cleaning intake valves, on Non direct injected engines, and combustion chambers. GM also recommends it for when the fuel tank floats get sticky, so there has to be some pre injector attributes to the product as well, as the recommendation works, and not just on GM's.

I would not use Seafoam as a fuel stabilizer, and I do not believe claims written on labels. It is proven they will put anything on a label until somebody sues them for misrepresentation, and the only ones who profit from that are the lawyers. So there seems to be some collective understanding between competitors to just let sleeping dogs lie and milk the consumer with clever marketing and outlandish claims with no substance to back them up.

In fact with the content of Seafoam being a good percentage alcohol, I will no longer put any into my tank, though I have in the past without issue. Running it through the intake did seem to clean up the Idle a bit, but subjective seat of the pants "butt Dyno"s are hardly Scientific, especially with the human mindset of expecting results from effort or money expended.

Of all the Automotive forums I peruse, there are more fanboys of Seafoam here than anywhere else. On Other forums it is almost a despised product, so I find it amusing to come here and see it praised by some as the holy grail to engine maintenance.
Would this be a better choice for my 454 tbi engine?
joe money

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer

In fact with the content of Seafoam being a good percentage alcohol, I will no longer put any into my tank, though I have in the past without issue. Running it through the intake did seem to clean up the Idle a bit, but subjective seat of the pants "butt Dyno"s are hardly Scientific, especially with the human mindset of expecting results from effort or money expended.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used Seafoam in everything I own at one time or another. Not once has it ever caused a problem. I've seen it clean out carburetors in lawn equipment, ATVs and outboards to the point where they run much better. It's one of the only "Tune up in a can" products I would ever recommend.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I am of the opinion that an urea based additive TECHRON in particular or Shell's "Nitrogen Based" gasoline additive is the only consumer chemical that actually does anything at all inside the combustion chamber. Other additives are mouse-milk they remove something all right.

Money from my wallet for nothing...

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
calamus wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
calamus wrote:
I have run it in my boat the last few year (seafoam), had to replace a fuel pump and a bunch of other stuff. The dealer had a notice on the wall with pictures to stop using it! It works to good cleans and loosen stuff and it jams up pumps and filters. Was better off with some stabil in the tank. by more that one service tech.

This always cracks me up. So what is going on the Seafoam is breaking off "chunks" and sending them down the fuel line. Or is it taking hard "stuff" and turning it into molasses then sending that down the fuel line plugging up things.

Urban Myth is all they are pandering. Last thing they want is a $9 can of Seafoam fixing their $300 plus repair job.

The Seafoam didn't create your problems, age and bad fuel did. No way a cleaner can take out a fuel pump. That's just silly.

I dont run ethanol in my boats. I guess you are a seafoam rep or something. Why Would the dealer put a service bulletin on the wall warning people to not use seafoam?and the mechanics warn me about it. I did not have any problems till a year or so after using it! You do what you want, When you have problems you will know why
. Dont be a A$$ unless you are an engineer keep your pie hole shut I will ask if I want your opinion. Just like the OP did, he wanted to know our experiences.
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
calamus wrote:
I have run it in my boat the last few year (seafoam), had to replace a fuel pump and a bunch of other stuff. The dealer had a notice on the wall with pictures to stop using it! It works to good cleans and loosen stuff and it jams up pumps and filters. Was better off with some stabil in the tank. by more that one service tech.

This always cracks me up. So what is going on the Seafoam is breaking off "chunks" and sending them down the fuel line. Or is it taking hard "stuff" and turning it into molasses then sending that down the fuel line plugging up things.

Urban Myth is all they are pandering. Last thing they want is a $9 can of Seafoam fixing their $300 plus repair job.

The Seafoam didn't create your problems, age and bad fuel did. No way a cleaner can take out a fuel pump. That's just silly.

I dont run ethanol in my boats. I guess you are a seafoam rep or something. Why Would the dealer put a service bulletin on the wall warning people to not use seafoam?and the mechanics warn me about it. I did not have any problems till a year or so after using it! You do what you want, When you have problems you will know why

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:

yep, the use of fuel containing alcohol does a lot more damage.
bumpy

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Back when they switched to ethanol everybody had clogged fuel filters -- if your gas tank or fuel lines were gummed up they have likely been already cleaned by the ethanol so Seafoam isn't going to create that issue.
Kevin

mikeh449
Explorer
Explorer
if you run it through the intake it will clean the valves a top of piston of carbon fouling which in turn will get rid of hot spots in the cylinders an you will get better combustion (ie) better mileage plus it cleans the intake manifold

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
calamus wrote:

Not only "silly" it is a flat out lie. ANY competent mechanic will tell you that seafoam will NOT hurt your engine and will do a superior job of cleaning the fuel system. I had more problems with Sta-Bil not doing the job they said it would do as a stabilizer, than the Seafoam ever caused. I run it regularly as a system cleaner and have used it as a stabilizer for up to 16 months, with NO problems.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
calamus wrote:

Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

calamus
Explorer
Explorer

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
Get the tank drained and cleaned.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.