cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Seeking an assist - directv

xaugievike
Explorer
Explorer
All...thanks in advance for stepping in.

My folks just picked up a new Motorhome and at the same time signed up for directv service. My old man, who is normally very handy, meets his match when it comes to electronics. I'm trying to help him get things going....but I don't have direct (dish here) and thus I'm kind of useless regarding direct tv settings.

What I know...the rig came with a winegard road trip in-motion antenna. The receiver is an H-24

He is getting his standard definition channels. But zero HD programs coming through. He mentions he's seeing "error found in tuner 1" message in his setup screen.

To my ears it sounds like he's not picking up the needed satellite for HD programs. Wondering if any direct users here can offer up the proper details or steps so that I can relay to him what he needs to do.
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500hd DRW.
Pulling Keystone Cougar 325SRX

A buddy and I started a blog - you can read it here:
http://twoguyscamping.blogspot.com
7 REPLIES 7

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Short answer: He can not get direcHDTV with that antenna.
Since it is an In-Motion antenna that means it is a DOME type, not a disk
NO DOME can get DirecHDTV, only dish type antennas do HD.

Reason: unlike Dish Network, Dirc Broadcasts HD on a different frequency band, You need a DIFFERENT antenna for HD and SD, nobody makes an HD dome at this time.

Now a proper DISH type antenna (Ground mount or stationary roof mnount) with the proper Triplet LNB, can in fact do both, but no dome can. Domes have only ONE LNB, (May be a single or dual output but there is only one) and it's the SD band for Direc.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I take a direct receiver from the house and put it in the motor home. I have only standard defination, not high def. Only the winegard traveler antenna will get high def.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never had any issues with DTV.

I like DISH better because their sat box beeps signal strength, their remote has a finder beeper if you misplace it, you can download movies and shows to your mobile devices to watch later, no power inserter and I think the menus might be friendlier.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
xaugievike wrote:
Ha....

Well, there you go. I guess it's a simple explanation at least!

Big Katuna....I agree on dish vs direct. A couple camping friends have direct and it seems a constant struggle for them.

Appreciate the guidance guys.

I have used Direct for 7 years not one problem here
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

xaugievike
Explorer
Explorer
Ha....

Well, there you go. I guess it's a simple explanation at least!

Big Katuna....I agree on dish vs direct. A couple camping friends have direct and it seems a constant struggle for them.

Appreciate the guidance guys.
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500hd DRW.
Pulling Keystone Cougar 325SRX

A buddy and I started a blog - you can read it here:
http://twoguyscamping.blogspot.com

jsikora
Explorer
Explorer
Double check the antenna is capable of HD. I got the tailgator for Christmas and while it works fine for HD/SD on Dish it will only work for SD on Direct TV. Most antennas do not work on Direct TV HD that are on the market.

All the info I find online show the Winegaurd Road Trip will only support SD.

http://www.winegard.com/roadtrip
1998 Fleetwood Bounder 30
FORE SALE - 2006 Fleetwood Wilderness 5th Wheel
SOLD - 2010 F-350 PSD Lariet CC 4X4
2000 Jayco Pop Up...The Guest House

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can't get Directv HD on an in motion dome.

You can get an automatic Winegard rooftop dish but it's not in motion; it unfolds and hunts for the sats.

I think you can get DISH in motion but not sure which Dome or sat box.

I just switched from Directv to DISH as they are doing 24 mos for $49/mo, 190 channels, no HD or DVR fees. Three months free premiums and $100 gift card for Camping World.

I use a tripod for DISH camping. I like DISH better than Directv.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.