cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

self adjusting brake problem

Brucelas
Explorer
Explorer
This is posted for a friend, he has a white cargo trailer. I don't know the brand or axle.

I have Electric, self adjusting, brake assemblies. I always shoot my hubs at the bearing location at any stop I make. I use one of those inexpensive IR Laser Temperature guns for this purpose.

Long story short I found the self adjusting brake on that hot wheel was so tight that I could not revolve the wheel by hand when jacked up.

These brake assemblies have been on for some time without any problems. All set, and setup working for many miles. I inspected the other 3 assemblies and the pads are all set normal with plenty of pad left.

Does anyone have a clue what might cause one of these to tighten down so much? The old one, parts wise, and installation wise, appeared to be fine, other than the fact the pads were worn and over heated.
2015 GMC Denali HD 3500 DRW Duramax
2007 Thor JAZZ
B & W turnoverball and Companion Hitch
8 REPLIES 8

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy, got a suggestion here:
Self adjusting or not, the magnet needs to move freely on the post it resides on. I have had to clean up that post and free up the magnet in the past.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
troubledwaters wrote:
Brucelas wrote:
donn0128, the assembly was taken apart, and everything looked good. I was all less than a year old.
Where all the parts put back in correctly? Sounds like something is in the wrong place, installed backwards, upside down, whatever.

I understand that self adjusting brakes are side specific. My guess someone put the axle on backwords. One side goes tight the other side does not work at all.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
opps!

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
Brucelas wrote:
donn0128, the assembly was taken apart, and everything looked good. I was all less than a year old.
Where all the parts put back in correctly? Sounds like something is in the wrong place, installed backwards, upside down, whatever.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Brucelas
Explorer
Explorer
2015 GMC Denali HD 3500 DRW Duramax
2007 Thor JAZZ
B & W turnoverball and Companion Hitch

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without taking the offending assembly apart its all guess work. Mut, my guess is there is something broken causing the brake to bind.

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Drum might be out of round causing the adjuster to over tighten. I have heard of that happening. May need to have the drum machined or replaced if that is the problem.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller