cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sewer vent smell - need advice

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
I am having an issue with sewer odors in my trailer. They seem the strongest around the toilet. I've done some research on here and I think I've narrowed it down to the rooftop vent for the black tank.

Can someone please give me some advice on how I should or could repair this vent. The pictures below are for comparison between the rooftop vent for the gray tank (which looks normal to me) and the broken or incorrectly installed rooftop vent for the black tank.

Here is a picture of the gray tank rooftop vent:

Gray tank (normal looking vent)

Here is a picture of the problem black tank vent. It may be hard to see from the picture but the black hose/pipe that should be above the roofline is approximately 3" below the roofline. It also seems that the vent cover is broken because there is a larger hole here.

Black tank vent (broken or not installed correctly)

Any advice would be appreciated on the repair. I think I will be replacing the cover with one of those 360 degree siphon types that I've read about.

I haven't taken the entire vent cover assembly out yet because of the weather today. I don't have a replacement yet and I didn't want to leave it off over the night.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4
21 REPLIES 21

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
If you have easy access to pipe I would make sure it is sealed into tank. Cut a piece in 6 or 8 inches above the tank, using two couplings glue and a piece of pipe, to get it above the roofline. Whilst open check to see how far it extends into tank and adjust if necessary. Strap the pipe in place in a couple spots. Go on roof and fit and seal above roofline and put on a 360 vent. Done
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure if it was broken. I suppose a tree could have hit it but the vent cover was still in place nicely screwed down. It's just the part right under the cap that screws down seems to be bigger than normal and of course the pipe is no longer there.

I do have very easy access to the pipe from inside the trailer. It runs from the black tank right up through the closet in the bedroom and into the roof.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
On second thought after looking at picture the pipe doesn't appear to be round. Could it have been broken off?

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I have lost several vent caps unknowingly by tree branches at CG's
I know do a vent cap check on my departure list.

Yours looks like the vent cap and stack took a REAL big hit by a tree branch enough to break off the pipe with it. They must have had that cap jammed on tighter than tight for it to break the pipe too.

IMHO don't waste your money on the whirly gig sewer cap just buy the standard vent cap after you figure out how to had to the broken pipe.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe I should have looked at the photo..

According to the RV Doctor, the no. 1 cause of black tank odors is a dried out toilet seal. Can't see if you've checked that?

That does not look right at all in the photo. So did the pipe drop or was it not properly installed to start with?

I re-routed the grey tank vent pipe in our TT a few weeks ago while installing new cabinets. I found that the pipe up to the roof dropped right out when I cut the pipe. The pipe into our tank was solid and appeared to be glued (or screwed) in place. Do some tanks really not have a fitting at the tank that secures the pipe? I can't imagine not having a pipe permanently secured in place at the roof and having the pipe enter the tank without an ABS fitting so it could drop. It sounds from other posts on RV forums that this can happen though.

Could you possibly push a short length of 1 1/2" ABS with a coupling on it and try pushing it onto the pipe through the vent? Then see if you can twist the existing pipe or pull it up a fraction of an inch? You'd have to trim the vent fitting though so the coupling would fit through and replace it after.

If it turns out that the vent pipe hasn't dropped, you need to get the vent pipe extended up to the roof vent so it's not venting into the ceiling cavity. As mentioned above, dropping a tape measure down the pipe may give an answer.

If you need to extend the pipe upwards (assuming it didn't drop) depending on where your vent pipe is, to access it from inside your unit, there is always the possibility that you can pull luan plywood off a wall inside a cabinet and restaple (or air nail) it back on. Or possibly it's accessible from inside a dinette seat. If you can access the vertical pipe from inside, you may be able to cut it and add a section. Then you wouldn't have to replace and recaulk the roof vent.

Rvpapa
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a Fantastic or similar type fan it is easy to check vent.
First off go on the roof and tape down one side of a piece of paper or light plastic so that it lays over the vent. Next close all windows and vents. Turn on fan to high blowing IN. With someone outside watching the vent open the toilet valve. If the vent is good the person outside will see the piece of whatever blowing. If you keep allowing the water to flow in the tank the it will shut the vent off as it reaches the pipe. At this point it will be noticeable that the vent is no longer blowing air and you will probably notice the aroma. Now you know at what level the vent is into the tank.
Art.

mmiille
Explorer
Explorer
I have been having similar issues. My toilet does burp at higher levels. I will look into the vent pipe slippage. I put those cyclone vents on last fall and it seems like the one pipe wasn't sticking out real far. Hope I can pull it back out.
Martin & Cheryl
40 Foot 2009 Damon Tuscany 4076
Cummins 360, Hyundai Santa Fe
Full timing since 2010.

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
mrkoje wrote:
I am having an issue with sewer odors in my trailer. They seem the strongest around the toilet. I've done some research on here and I think I've narrowed it down to the rooftop vent for the black tank.

Can someone please give me some advice on how I should or could repair this vent. The pictures below are for comparison between the rooftop vent for the gray tank (which looks normal to me) and the broken or incorrectly installed rooftop vent for the black tank.

Here is a picture of the gray tank rooftop vent:

Gray tank (normal looking vent)

Here is a picture of the problem black tank vent. It may be hard to see from the picture but the black hose/pipe that should be above the roofline is approximately 3" below the roofline. It also seems that the vent cover is broken because there is a larger hole here.

Black tank vent (broken or not installed correctly)

Any advice would be appreciated on the repair. I think I will be replacing the cover with one of those 360 degree siphon types that I've read about.

I haven't taken the entire vent cover assembly out yet because of the weather today. I don't have a replacement yet and I didn't want to leave it off over the night.

This is only a suggestion, make sure that your ( P ) traps in your sink and shower has water in them. Especially, in the bathroom also close the bathroom vent closest to the sewer vent pipe. We made a trip and were almost driven out of our RV by the odor from the sewer tanks.

Good luck have a safe trip.

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
mrkoje wrote:
I've had the black tank pretty darn close to full and nothing out of the ordinary. I'm not sure I'm 100% on what you mean by a burp. I'm taking it as gases escaping from the toilet opening when flushing. When I flush it does get smelly but it doesn't make an audible sound!

YES............tank venting up thru toilet because vent line (if slipped down into tank) would be blocked and as you flushed the air/gases in black tank would have to come up out of toilet.

It does make an audible sound when that happens......and can spray back.

So it sounds like a 'craftsmanship' install......vent line cut to short. Should be at or above roof line and sealed from 'attic' area of roof.

Well I haven't had any "spray back!" Hopefully never do though it's possible with some the DWs cooking lately!

Rollnhome wrote:
Stick a steel measuring tope down the vent. Unless their is a bend it should go to the bottom of the tank. Take a measurement. When pulling the tape out you should be able to catch the bottom of the vent pipe. That will give you another measurement. From there you will know if the pipe is on or close to bottom of tank. If not on bottom it should be sealed at top of tank, try to gently turn or lift up.it should not move. If it doesn't move I'd add a coupling or 360 vent. If it moves....go get a beer it's going to be a long day.

I'm going to do this. Really I'm just hoping who ever was in charge of installing the pipe was lazy and cut it too short. At least that way I can make quick work of extending it out. I didn't want to remove the rest of the vent cover today because I'm going to need one of those 360 covers to replace it. Once I take the rest of the old cover off I should be able to see a little bit better on whats going on in there.

myredracer wrote:
It also could be a faulty air admittance valve for the grey tank. It will be inside the vanity cabinet. The smell from a grey tank can be almost as bad as a black tank. The valves are one way and are not supposed to let gases/odors back into your RV.

We have to replace the AAV for our galley tank which is under the kitchen sink. It's only months old. We're far away from home on vacation and DW kept complaining about a smell. I wouldn't have suspected a faulty AAV that is so new. One wiff next to it confirmed it's not working...

They just screw onto the ABS pipe and don't cost much.

Though that is a possibility I've pretty much ruled that out so far. Reason is that the smell is faint under the vanity in the bathroom yet it is strongest around the base of the toilet. Once you open the toilet you better run - I wish that smell upon no one ever. Also, after I did some investigating on the roof it is kind of obvious that something jacked up is going on with the vent pipe. Because it looks so jacked up I'm reasoning that is the most likely candidate on why it's not venting properly.

mobeewan wrote:
How about using an inspection camera to put down the toilet into the black tank to see if the pipe has slipped down?

I could go this route but being I don't have an investigation camera immediately accessible I'll try the tape measure method first. Though it is a good reason to get another tool!

----

Thanks all for the replies. Some good ideas I didn't think of and confirmation of what I kind of thought might be the issue.

I'll let you know how it goes. I'm going to order the 360 vent tomorrow.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
How about using an inspection camera to put down the toilet into the black tank to see if the pipe has slipped down?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It also could be a faulty air admittance valve for the grey tank. It will be inside the vanity cabinet. The smell from a grey tank can be almost as bad as a black tank. The valves are one way and are not supposed to let gases/odors back into your RV.

We have to replace the AAV for our galley tank which is under the kitchen sink. It's only months old. We're far away from home on vacation and DW kept complaining about a smell. I wouldn't have suspected a faulty AAV that is so new. One wiff next to it confirmed it's not working...

They just screw onto the ABS pipe and don't cost much.

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Stick a steel measuring tope down the vent. Unless their is a bend it should go to the bottom of the tank. Take a measurement. When pulling the tape out you should be able to catch the bottom of the vent pipe. That will give you another measurement. From there you will know if the pipe is on or close to bottom of tank. If not on bottom it should be sealed at top of tank, try to gently turn or lift up.it should not move. If it doesn't move I'd add a coupling or 360 vent. If it moves....go get a beer it's going to be a long day.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
mrkoje wrote:
I've had the black tank pretty darn close to full and nothing out of the ordinary. I'm not sure I'm 100% on what you mean by a burp. I'm taking it as gases escaping from the toilet opening when flushing. When I flush it does get smelly but it doesn't make an audible sound!

YES............tank venting up thru toilet because vent line (if slipped down into tank) would be blocked and as you flushed the air/gases in black tank would have to come up out of toilet.

It does make an audible sound when that happens......and can spray back.

So it sounds like a 'craftsmanship' install......vent line cut to short. Should be at or above roof line and sealed from 'attic' area of roof.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar issue with my MH, but reversed where the gray water vent pipe did not project through the roof. It seems that it was mounted too low in the holding tank, and when it is about 2/3 full it is unable to function properly and the smells vent into the MH.

In my research, it seems that another issue can occur where the vent pipe can slip downward into the tank. Mine has a horizontal drain pipe from the shower that would prevent that from happening. Without the horizontal pipe it would be possible to pull the vent pipe upward to its correct position, but not in my situation.

I was unable to pull the vent pipe upwards, but was able to sleeve the pipe through the roof plane enough to attach an extension, and then added a 360 degree Venturi cap as if the original vent was at it's correct height.

Caulking is your friend.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L