cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should I gamble on a salvage yard RV furnace?

jbourne84
Explorer
Explorer
This is for an Atwood 8012 furnace. I scoped it out at the local salvage yard, was way in the back in some smashed in ford class B camper from the 80s.

After climbing around another van and fighting my way in I got under the bed where I could see it, it's old but otherwise looks in decent shape. I could tell no rain was getting into the camper since it just rained all night and everything was bone dry in there. I obviously have no idea how long its been sitting or if it works. I just dont know much about these things, is there any obvious reason not to waste my time getting it out of there? Guy basically said I could name my price for anything I wanted out of that camper.
12 REPLIES 12

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
The Atwood 8012 is a great small (12,000BTU) furnace for dry camping - it has the lowest current draw (1.8 amps) of any, and is one of the quietest fan powered furnaces. The biggest problem I've seen with them (like most RV furnaces) is the motor bearings failing & getting noisy. Relubricating doesn't provide a long term solution - before installing, I'd fire it up to check for noise. Replacement motors are available for around $70.00.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd guess that furnaces are one of the least used items in a RV, and as long as there's no serious rust, I'd go for a used unit, even if it's from the 80's. Might need to give the bearings a bit of lube after all that time.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If money is that tight I would go for it. I remember those days hunting car parts in wrecking yards.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Likely that the furnace did work, as people tend to fix things that dont. You can never know though. Furnaces are pretty simple, gas burns, makes hot, fan moves air... The valve is the part that would go out usually, and it is way way cheaper than an entire furnace, Easy to replace if that is bad. I think I paid maybe $40 or so for a new solenoid gas valve, and the fix was easy.
I would roll the dice.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
The RV furnace uses a lot of LP. I do not use much heat, when I do I run my Honda 2000 and a small ceramic heater. If I were to replace my LP heater many are using small diesel heaters and seem to be impressed with them.

If interested Google diesel heater in RV and see what you think.

jbourne84
Explorer
Explorer
steveh27 wrote:
I am in Michigan and wonder what salvage yard you were at?

E&M Auto Parts in Canton

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I am in Michigan and wonder what salvage yard you were at?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
$20 MAX for an old unknown functioning Atwood 8012....
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
With a complete bench test as Dutch suggested...yes.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
If there was no significant rust showing on the inside and you can get it for $10-$20 I'd say go for it. I would bench test it before installing though. Age isn't as important as condition in this case. I have two 20 year old Atwood 8025's in my motorhome that are working perfectly and have needed minimal repairs.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
of course it's a **** shoot. but I have used many used parts that were infact better quality then what I had originally.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Sent you a PM...

3 tons