cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

shut off inverter?

luvztheoutdoor1
Explorer
Explorer
Ya' know, I almost hate to post this and proclaim my ignorance on technical issues. I have had my Jayco Class C for about 5 years now. It came with a Xantrex XM 1000 inverter. I have been leaving it on even when connected to shore power, like when I just have it sitting at home. Should I or can I keep doing this? Is it OK to turn it off when not traveling? It has a remote on/off switch. What are the drawbacks if I have it turned off or even on? I understand that is designed to operate AC outlets when not connected to an AC source. But I never thought of turning it off when connected. Am I burning it up? Thanks for listening.
Linda
Scout, 10 year old Husky/Shepherd
2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
9 REPLIES 9

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Does the XM 1000 have passthrough? Do the outlet(s) it feeds have a switch to shore vs inverter? If on shore power or driving, I leave my inverter on. In storage, away from the house, I turn it off.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
corvettekent wrote:
Think of leaving the inverter on like leaving your headlights on,
it's more like leaving your dome light on.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
If this is "inverter-only" - which it probably is - there is no need to idle it. I would turn it off when on shore power. Especially in a hot weather, so that it wouldn't be heating your space (and itself) uselessly. Unless you have life-supporting devices like CPAP machine. Uninterrupted TV shows, while being important :), probably don't qualify.

When in storage, I would turn it off too, you don't run AC loads in storage.

MrWizard
he has shore power at home when stored
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the inverter/charger has automatic battery maintaining option, that is something good to have on all the time.
Otherwise why leave on something you are not planning to use for few weeks, or months?
Inverters, even when turned off by switch will always draw some power from batteries.
Hard to beat main disconnect switch, or pulling battery clamp.

MrWizard
inverter ONLY
or
inverter/charger combo

the combo unit is also a battery charger

so you would want that ON when connected to shore power

even if it is 'Invert Only" leaving it on means NO drop out, should there be a power problem

we full time, our (2) inverters are always on, unless the RV is in the diesel shop, with NO shore power connected
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
horizon36 wrote:
You are not burning it up. We are full time and our Xantrex inverter is on 24/7/365 as a back up. We have had shore power go out and the inverter picks up the load. So, if we are watching TV, the show goes on. We don't have to reboot computers, satellite receivers, reset clocks etc.

X2
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Think of leaving the inverter on like leaving your headlights on, it would not hurt your headlights to stay on but it will draw power from your batteries. Now if you have a transfer switch and you need back up then leave it on. I shut mine off when not in use.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

horizon36
Explorer
Explorer
You are not burning it up. We are full time and our Xantrex inverter is on 24/7/365 as a back up. We have had shore power go out and the inverter picks up the load. So, if we are watching TV, the show goes on. We don't have to reboot computers, satellite receivers, reset clocks etc.
Live Long and Prosper.

Home is where we park it.
FT since August 2010

'02 Itasca Horizon 36LD
'02 Jeep GC toad