cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slideout jumps in place and does not retract

Horizons28
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2006 Sunnybrook 5th wheel. When I retracted the slide, it came almost all the way in then stopped with a strange thump. DH was still outside putting away hoses and didn’t hear it, but advised me to cycle it back out, then in again. It extended about a foot and a half, and then stopped. The motor was running and it was slightly jumping in place, not moving. I then tried to bring it in but it retracted only about a foot before the same thing happened. We are still on shore power, the motor sounds normal but we cannot get the slider to fully retract or extend.
I’ve called a mobile service (we are in a campground, departing today) but since it will be 5 hours before a guy can get out here, thought I’d post in case there are any ideas we could try. DH opened the access panel. Electric motor is mounted vertically. The slide actuator arm is horizontal. Where those two meet, it’s not working. Motor works, horizontal actuator shaft remain stationary. DH’s best guess is the gears in the transmission are the problem so don’t know if there’s anything we can do about it ourselves.
5 REPLIES 5

Horizons28
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry nailed it, it was broken teeth on the gear. We’ll make some calls tomorrow to see if we can get the necessary part. I was told it would be worth it to call Winnebago since they bought Sunnybrook and could give us a part number? The trailer’s 12 years old so I don’t know how likely that would be.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's a virtually identical thread about this with a post by dougrainer about making a shim from a flat washer. Try and "advanced search" on this Tech Issues Forum. The fix sounds cheesy, but it links to a manufacturer's bulletin, and both dougrainer then the OP found it worked.

EDIT: Oh... I looked a this thread before and doubt the fix I just noted, will be enough to fix it. If it DOES apply, you may fix your current issue and find it'd be helpful to also shim it. Either way, I think somebody will be along to help.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Did it run over something underneath on floor ?? Ours 'ate' a dog toy once.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Only guessing also, but does sound like a damaged gear causing the stop, due to a possible broken tooth. If you were able to speak to the mobile repair person, he will hopefully be able to bring part/parts that he thinks he will need.

Good luck,
Jerry

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Horizons28 wrote:
DH’s best guess is the gears in the transmission are the problem so don’t know if there’s anything we can do about it ourselves.

Dig out the slide owner's manual and read any instructions detailing how to manually retract the slide.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380