Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

solar budget of 2700.00 Canadian

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi all,

I'm going to beef up my solar system. The budget is $2700.00 including installation costs.

I'm considering these because I will be able to pick them up from Calgary and save the (considerable) shipping costs:

poly 245 watt

or

mono 240 watt

Which would you choose for low light performance?

The ones on the roof will be non tilt. I am considering a "wing" on the rear of the RV. That would need to tilt--and cleaning may be an issue. (Cover with six mil poly while traveling? Any other brain storms?)

Assuming four to six panels, what MPPT controller would you choose?

I love my unisolar system. I may be removing it to allow for even more than six panels. I'd really rather keep it in place and simply add a second controller as an independent system.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
85 REPLIES 85

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi mena,

That mainly happens at rural Church locations. I have some short flat #12 cords that I can use through a door, if I'm careful. When I can it is easy to heat the entire RV electrically.

mena661 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi smk,

I do plug in when ever I can. Sometimes to three 15 amp circuits.
How often do you get to do that? Might save you having to buy those two extra panels.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

nomad_289
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty convincing case to wire panels in parallel...

"if the panels are all wired in series, when one panel shuts down due to a palm-sized bit of shade, then the entire array of panels shuts down. A tree branch or part of a boatโ€™s standing rigging or mast/boom can cause the entire array to shut down if it is wired in series."

roadslesstravelled-solar

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi smk,

How often do you get to do that? Might save you having to buy those two extra panels.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi smk,

Regards, Don

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
Hi smk,

When was the last time you ran your generator? Is it worth it? To me it is worth it--but I'll know more after the roof is measured. I may have to start the entire process over based on space, with different panels.

I really hate generators. I'll have no place to do an oil change except the great out doors. No fun at all in well below freezing temperatures.

Been a couple years. Kipor just sits. I keep it for emergency power use only. I have a small apartment building that will flood if power goes out during heavy rain.

I don't camp like you. If it is that cold I am plugged in.

I went a little overboard on solar because we like to camp in the trees. If I only get two hours of sun then I want to make the most of it.

For you I could see six panels wired 3 series 2 parallel feeding a single MS 60 MPPT. Tilt them a bit so you have a peak in the middle kinda like a sloped roof. Then at least 3 will always have some tilt to the winter sun. You could have one side raise up and match the tilt of the other side if needed in winter. I theory that is way overdriven for the controller but you would only tilt if production was low. Could add a second controller later if needed.

Just some random thoughts to keep all options open.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi CA T,

The Condo is rented out
Regards, Don

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Condo? Now there is the answer: Beg, Borrow or Steal the $ to upgrade the rig. 6 or more panels, GCs for the extra power, big alternator and a low temp gen mounted on a front or rear hitch. The condo rent/payments/utilities will more than pay for the equipment. :B
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

What I am tempted to do now--is nothing for a year. After that I may be living in a condo, and my existing system works quite well for that.
Regards, Don

Salvo
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to add the "boost" (32V/14V) in the calculation. Output isn't as bad as originally projected, still not great. BTW, if you tilt, you can improve output from 1.7H to 3.7H. Electric actuators are cheaper than panels.

I would use the money for a better heating system.

Sal

pianotuna wrote:
Thanks for bringing sanity to me--and to the discussion.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi smk,

When was the last time you ran your generator? Is it worth it? To me it is worth it--but I'll know more after the roof is measured. I may have to start the entire process over based on space, with different panels.

I really hate generators. I'll have no place to do an oil change except the great out doors. No fun at all in well below freezing temperatures.
Regards, Don

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If you might get a generator is the solar upgrade even worth it?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Salvo,

Bismark does slightly less well than Regina (1330 kwh yearly vs 1370 yearly) but you are right--not enough difference to matter.

Basically I *might* manage two nights (with opportunity charging from driving) but after that I must either idle the v-10 for long periods of time or have an alternate source of power.

So I have to find a plug in or break down and get a generator, or rely on the propane furnace for heating the tanks area. Thanks for bringing sanity to me--and to the discussion.
Regards, Don

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
smk,

You may be right about the 45's. His proposal is for 720W+ with 3 panels and the 45 has a 600W limit. Add flat mounting, northern latitudes and controller derating could make it workable.

Even with the savings he's to close to the budget for just the panels and controllers. With installation he might make the budget for 4 panels. And unless he can find a location for the second controller that also eliminates 6 panels.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Salvo
Explorer
Explorer
Winter solar harvest in Bismark ND (close enough to Regina) is 1.7H. Phoenix, on the other hand has 3.2H. You get twice as much power in Phoenix.

Given:
Imp = 7.7A
Vmp = 32V
4 panels

Total AH produced on a winter day in Bismark is:

7.7A * 4 * 32V/14V * 1.7H = 120AH

Is that enough? You need 240AH just to run your tank heaters!! What's your objective?

Sal

smkettner wrote:

In winter you will be lucky to get 45 amps. In summer you will never need more than 45 amps.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi smk,

No I only use a volt meter. I do have 2 hall effect ammeters installed. One between the battery bank and the DC distribution panel, and the other for measuring charging and discharging from the alternator.
Regards, Don