Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

solar budget of 2700.00 Canadian

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi all,

I'm going to beef up my solar system. The budget is $2700.00 including installation costs.

I'm considering these because I will be able to pick them up from Calgary and save the (considerable) shipping costs:

poly 245 watt

or

mono 240 watt

Which would you choose for low light performance?

The ones on the roof will be non tilt. I am considering a "wing" on the rear of the RV. That would need to tilt--and cleaning may be an issue. (Cover with six mil poly while traveling? Any other brain storms?)

Assuming four to six panels, what MPPT controller would you choose?

I love my unisolar system. I may be removing it to allow for even more than six panels. I'd really rather keep it in place and simply add a second controller as an independent system.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
85 REPLIES 85

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Monitoring voltage is sufficient IMO. Isn't there a battery monitor on this RV already?
Network cable or RS232 to USB will put all data to a laptop when needed.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK, didn't realize the probe was included. But the remote monitor while it may not be needed - BUT he's in extreme low temperatures, 2 controllers both of which can be monitored within the comfy warm interior of the rig.

So does he need the monitor? Of course not but does he want to know if due to snow or overcast weather (probably why I no longer live in Michigan) he needs to drive around the block, plug in or be cold???
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
The 60 has the probe included. Display is extra and unneeded IMO.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi CA T,

I thought the morningstar came with the temperature probes? I don't want a remote meter.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
So: 6x269 + 2x510 + 2x25 (battery probes) + 110 (remote meter) = $2794 + installation, etc.

Oops 6 panels blows the budget.

Bob

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I'll be talking to the person who will be doing the installation for me in early May. Some serious measuring is going to have to be done.
Regards, Don

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, 6 panels is huge for a RV. So your options are:
1. 6 panels and 24V.
2. 2 MS MPPT 60 controllers with 3 panels each. Find the space for the second controller.
3. 4 panels.

Bob

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
CA Traveler wrote:
So the only real option for 6 panels is 2 controllers.
Three drives the MS MPPT 60 nicely. :B
But honestly I think you only need the 45 with three panels so 2x 45 would work well with six IMO.
The pair of 45s will save you ~$250

RickSo wrote:
I hadn't brushed the snow of my panels a few weeks ago when we had a good storm and when cleaned the meter was reading 673 watts and 45 amps because the batteries were down to 12.3 volts.

In winter you will be lucky to get 45 amps. In summer you will never need more than 45 amps.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Salvo,

Thanks!

I expect I'll do as I did with the unisolar's and use angle aluminum along the long side of the panels.

Salvo wrote:
I think both the poly and mono panels have similar low irradiance efficiencies. The mono has a good spec, while the poly has missing I-V curves. I would decide at the shop. See which panel is better made. How much does the frame flex? Take a multimeter along. Measure Isc (if they allow).

Sal
Regards, Don

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
Getting into building sized systems at this point. Anything to beg, borrow or steal from off grid residential systems?

Jim

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi CA T,

Not quite--a fold up "tail" on the back may be an option. I've grown concerned about a controller for six panels too--it seems that for 12 volt that is going to be tough to find. Even four panels are hard.

CA Traveler wrote:
With 28' rig and 6 panels the only real option is to mount them above the ACs. Don't know Dons roof layout but likely this is the only option even for 4 panels.
Regards, Don

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Of course with one controller his options are 4 panels or 6 panels and 24V, which will involve additional equipment. So the only real option for 6 panels is 2 controllers.

Bob

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mr Wiz,

You are quite right about that.
Regards, Don

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
With 28' rig and 6 panels the only real option is to mount them above the ACs. Don't know Dons roof layout but likely this is the only option even for 4 panels.

Bob

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi smk,

I'm at 100 inches wide (2.5 meters) and 28'5" (8.7 meters) long. (roof is, of course, shorter).
Regards, Don