Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

solar budget of 2700.00 Canadian

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi all,

I'm going to beef up my solar system. The budget is $2700.00 including installation costs.

I'm considering these because I will be able to pick them up from Calgary and save the (considerable) shipping costs:

poly 245 watt

or

mono 240 watt

Which would you choose for low light performance?

The ones on the roof will be non tilt. I am considering a "wing" on the rear of the RV. That would need to tilt--and cleaning may be an issue. (Cover with six mil poly while traveling? Any other brain storms?)

Assuming four to six panels, what MPPT controller would you choose?

I love my unisolar system. I may be removing it to allow for even more than six panels. I'd really rather keep it in place and simply add a second controller as an independent system.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
85 REPLIES 85

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mr Wiz makes a good point, and in addition you need space to walk by the panels.

If the Rv has a busy roof for vents etc, there may not be many or even any large spaces at all, and you might do better with a larger number of smaller panels of various shapes for length and width.

That would make each case unique for what would work best.

If you could build a rack going over several of the smaller vents etc, to make possible using larger panels close together, that would be useful. I don't know if there is a height limit above the roof for wind to get under that would be too high. Need more and stronger attachments along the panel frame if it is higher?

Some panels have heavier, stiffer metal frames than others
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd turn them 90 degrees, 65" width and 6x37" front to back.

And yes they can be mounted this way.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Home style rack system may not be a bad idea.

Two abreast would be about 80" wide vs the 96" RV width. ๐Ÿ™‚

MrWizard
i will make one comment
what ever the calculated sq footage is, it will actully take more

those numbets are only good for a residential/ commercial install where the panels are side by side in a row in a rack

RV in stall doesnt work that way
each panel is indivualy mounted, there is spacing between the panels for the mounts etc

even if yyou turn the feet under the panels and use slide nuts in tracks, you must have access to tighten the nuts

what ever the roof space measures the used sq ft of panels will be less
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
Go solar. A genset won't work in those cold temps.

Jim

Salvo
Explorer
Explorer
I think both the poly and mono panels have similar low irradiance efficiencies. The mono has a good spec, while the poly has missing I-V curves. I would decide at the shop. See which panel is better made. How much does the frame flex? Take a multimeter along. Measure Isc (if they allow).

Sal

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a few urban boondockers here living in their (mostly old/strange) RVs ๐Ÿ™‚ You see them in the library and store parking lots at different times of the day. Same ones. They move around (or are "moved along") Don't see any with DWs though!

Better than living in your car when times are tough, but it is not that cold here in winter like in Regina.

PT is going to need a generator to survive the winter, unless the Salvation Army digs him out once in a while. Let's hope the piano tuning business in Saskabush improves enough so PT can get off the streets! ๐Ÿ™‚
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Never seen a panel need an oil change or die from a clogged filter. Hijole P.T. all you got between you and Santa Claus is a frozen-stiff prairie dawg. Asked a camper (vacationing wheat farmer) years ago if he had any neighbors in Saskatchewan...

He answered "What's A 'Neighbor'?"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Someone asked why I have funds to spend. Well, the house sold and I'll be semi full (one week or up to three weeks) at a time. I'm allergic to generators (I break them, LOL).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi KJINTF,

A very good point. Looks like the one 2oldman suggested might get "the nod" instead.
Regards, Don

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest you think long and hard before purchasing a solar controller with a cooling FAN built into the thing

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

That's good to know.

ibyers wrote:
PT, I bought my panels from Solarwholesaler. Very pleased with the service I received.
Regards, Don

ibyers
Explorer
Explorer
PT, I bought my panels from Solarwholesaler. Very pleased with the service I received.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
Run do not walk, and get the dad-blamed Honda 2000 and stop fooling around I say!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
I'd do the solar but I'm weird like that. ๐Ÿ™‚ And, yes, my money would be on the Outback although Midnite Solar would not be a bad choice.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi 2oldman,

That's a nice controller alright. I see they have an 80 amp model as well.

Does it, by any chance, do diversion loads?
Regards, Don