cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar panel placement

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Are we going to cause a problem for ourself if we place a solar panel raised up over the toilet vent? Should a couple inches of clearance be enough?

Thoughts
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us
18 REPLIES 18

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
westend wrote:
When I bought a panel from them, the shipping price was the same for one or two modules.

It is still the same now for 1 or 2 panels. 500W array shipped within the western states will cost $442 incl. shipping.

Shipping just one big panel is expensive, but then, people who need only 250W usually buy a couple of 12V.

Ouch, that is just excessive, IMO.
IIRC, I paid $160 for shipping from Norco CA to Mpls MN for a single panel. That was about five years ago.

If you figure in the sales tax, the shipping for the two modules would be a bit more than $200 now (and that is to Western states).

What ever happened to the Midwest branch Solar Blvd was going to open? ISTR it was going to be in TN. That would bring shipping down for some folks but it's still going to be high shipping costs, relatively.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
BillyW wrote:
I've found that wasps love to nest under my panels. I'm glad that I have them high enough that I can easily deal those pests.

They love any nook easily accessible from outside. Check under the lid of your water heater, fridge etc.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
westend wrote:
When I bought a panel from them, the shipping price was the same for one or two modules.

It is still the same now for 1 or 2 panels. 500W array shipped within the western states will cost $442 incl. shipping.

Shipping just one big panel is expensive, but then, people who need only 250W usually buy a couple of 12V.

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
grizzzman wrote:
Almot wrote:
$106 is impressive.
$550 of course was never a sticker price, in the last 5-6 years I don't recall any 250W panel priced higher than $300-350. I would heed to advice that they posted in big red letters - Check Shipping Rate Before Ordering. People within 200 miles from the warehouse should better pick it up in person, this was what I did (different panel).

ya impressive......double the price of the panel for shipping.....Ouch......and I'm only a few states away.
When I bought a panel from them, the shipping price was the same for one or two modules. It is the large size that raises the shipping price.

Well i can order 320 watts of 12 volt panels for less then 1 one large panel shipped......
2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Shipping prices for large panels will always be high.

But what about buying 6 panels and now the price is 106 + 50 = $156 per 235W panel - Western states area. And sell the excess panels for a little more. Or up to 14 panels for $315 S&H.

My impression is that Canadian Solar is very good quality and that is what I'd do.

My son has 160W solar, I'd give him 2, buy a controller, help him install them and - Merry Christmas 2017 son.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

westend
Explorer
Explorer
grizzzman wrote:
Almot wrote:
$106 is impressive.
$550 of course was never a sticker price, in the last 5-6 years I don't recall any 250W panel priced higher than $300-350. I would heed to advice that they posted in big red letters - Check Shipping Rate Before Ordering. People within 200 miles from the warehouse should better pick it up in person, this was what I did (different panel).

ya impressive......double the price of the panel for shipping.....Ouch......and I'm only a few states away.
When I bought a panel from them, the shipping price was the same for one or two modules. It is the large size that raises the shipping price.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
$106 is impressive.

2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I've found that wasps love to nest under my panels. I'm glad that I have them high enough that I can easily deal those pests.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
$106 is impressive.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Canadian 235W Solar $106 Click.

Bob

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nutinelse2do wrote:
Are we going to cause a problem for ourself if we place a solar panel raised up over the toilet vent? Should a couple inches of clearance be enough?

No problems on mine. Couple of inches would be an overkill, 1 inch or 3/4 inch will be enough. I would say "1/8" but big panels could flex in the middle under their own weight, so it might end up resting lightly on the vent (not really rubbing, just resting). Not that rubbing against the vent would cause much damage. The bottom laminate of the panel looks to me more durable than PVC material of the vent cap.

My panels were installed in such a way that could be tilted to the sides, so access to the vent is not an issue. Majority of people here use two-piece Z-brackets or rails anyway, so removing the panel in (unlikely) event of servicing the vent is still possible.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My raised panel choice was determined by:

1. The best panel location involved one panel over a vent. That dictated that the immediate adjacent panel be at the same level. It then made sense to also raise the rear panel.
2. Removing a few bolts would allow the panel over the fan to swing up for vent service. Or just remove all the bolts. Not intolerable to me.
3. Less A/C shadows was a benefit. Essentially rig orientation is not a factor. This is not a major factor as early morning/late afternoon sun is limited anyway for flat panels.
4. Air flow for raised panels when driving and/or storms was not a factor. 20K miles and 2+ years with no issues. Plus air flow when stopped is a benefit for hot temperatures.

Of course I could run the fan to cool the panels - Oh wait! That would take more power than saved. :h

There are many different choices with solar to improve our camping experience.

Bob

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I personally would avoid it, especially if the solar panel ends up being the highest point on the roof. That's more just my preference than anything; the panel should not cause any problems from the point of view of having functional plumbing. On the off chance that you need to clean a blockage out of the vent pipe, you obviously would need to temporarily move the solar panel for access.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not a fan of solar panels much more than a couple of inches above the roof.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad