Did you mean:ย 

solar panels with diodes between each cell

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi folks,

I stumbled across these panels today:

https://ae-solar.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/AE_P6-36_155W-175W.pdf

They apparently have diodes between each and every cell which gives them an advantage for series connection of the panels (i.e. shade tolerant)

Does anyone know of other panels that do this?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
41 REPLIES 41

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
2oldman wrote:
OK, it's panel. Not sure if the Canadian spelling is pannel.

nope I just suck at spelling, but if you have nothing better to do then look for spelling errors you need another hobby.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Not on subject, but thanks for that post BFL13. I am one that struggles with the English language, being it Australian or American and often feel intimidated by some peoples comments. I on the other hand try not to make to much fun of other people trying to write or speak Danish.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was also wondering what the application is for this panel. If the cost is very low then it would be a great panel for RVs. If the cost is significant then maybe not for most RVs.

And panel life? If the diodes are imbedded and not replaceable then a single failure could result in a shorter panel life.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Here's a graph of my 3x serial panels with 9 bypass diodes and each diode string is about 10V. Note how the panel voltage increases by 10V as the leafy shade moves off of the panels. For me if there is significant cost for a bypass diode for every cell then I would not be interested. Also mine and the common panel arrangement has the diodes in the junction box so easy to access if necessary and limited cost. Individual cells not so much.

With shading on one string my output is 8/9, 2 strings it's 7/9, etc. While there is an additional voltage drop of about 0.3V for the conducting diode that's rather limited.

Great example!

I would think that with diodes on every cell (instead of ever 18 or so) you would have a smaller steps in your 'stair step', and maybe a small increase in energy depending on the pattern of the shading. The tradeoff is of course the diode drop. With your configuration you instead of gaining 10V from the shaded cells, you are loosing 0.3V. With a diode every cell, instead of gaining 0.5V from each shaded cell you are now loosing 0.3V from each cell.

There is a reason very few manufacturers use a bypass diode per cell as opposed to the number of diodes required to avoid 'hot spot' damage. Unisolar pretty much had to as their thin film panels are inherently more shade sensitive, I am not sure why this company is doing it.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:

His computer does not do spell cheques. ๐Ÿ™‚

Now can we get everyone to stop saying "lay" instead of "lie" and VV? Then we can work on "careening" when they mean "careering".

Or just ignore it. Some of us got our Grade 6 before being expelled, but not all.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Note: Mfgs do not install bypass diodes for panel output in shade. Instead shaded cells without bypass diodes create a hot spot due to reverse biasing from other panels. Without bypass diodes the cells can be damaged and even catch on fire.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's a graph of my 3x serial panels with 9 bypass diodes and each diode string is about 10V. Note how the panel voltage increases by 10V as the leafy shade moves off of the panels. For me if there is significant cost for a bypass diode for every cell then I would not be interested. Also mine and the common panel arrangement has the diodes in the junction box so easy to access if necessary and limited cost. Individual cells not so much.

With shading on one string my output is 8/9, 2 strings it's 7/9, etc. While there is an additional voltage drop of about 0.3V for the conducting diode that's rather limited.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
72 cell panels are about Vmp=39V and Voc=46V. CCs need to handle this including variations for temperature. Most important for me was the size - 39"x79" and as a result I used 60 cell panels. Plus 3 series panels and my 150V CC maximum makes the Voc marginal, and perhaps out of spec considering temperature.

Bob

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have known about diode panels for a long time. the problem is that the diode has a slight voltage drop so you need more solar calls to hit the magic charging voltage. the advantage.. If the panel is partially shaded. the rest of it works still. that's a MAJOR advantage for folks who sometimes park where it's not 100% sun.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
pianotuna wrote:
The output is between 46 and 47 volts depending on the panel. That's a nice sweet spot for safe operation voltage.

thats the open circut voltage, which hopefully you never see except when your testing the pannel when you first buy it. thats a 24v pannel. the 325 is the exact same as what I have, just a different name.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The output is between 46 and 47 volts depending on the panel. That's a nice sweet spot for safe operation voltage.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
2oldman wrote:
I can't find that about those panels either.
And the full specs are listed for only one type of panel.

I found some here:

https://www.qookka.com/en/solar-panels/901-solar-panel-ae-smart-hot-spot-free-60-cells-275-300w.html
Regards, Don

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
StirCrazy

Read the whole thread. This has been covered already with a quote and a link farther into the discussion.

What panels do you have?
Regards, Don